Chapter 32

Madelaina:

I hook the necklace around my neck and then the two earings in my piercings.

I add the matching bracelet but when I go to add the final touch...I remember that I don't have it.

He does.

He stole my ring. My everyday ring.

I mean, I didn't ask for it back. But in my defence I was in shock so I think I get a pass for that one.

But seriously. What the hell?

Why'd he do that?

And why does it bother me so much?

More than it should, I mean. Because I would still be freaking out if someone else took it, but knowing it's him, knowing he knows that I know and that he knows that I know because he wanted me to know because he knows that if I know that he wants me to know then he gets some kind of amusement out of it...

It aggravates me so much.

He aggravates me so much.

I slide my other rings onto my fingers before grabbing my bag and heading downstairs for Fredrico to drive me to school.

"He did what?"

"He did what?"

"Mhm."

"My god, he needs to step off of his high horse. Better yet, he should fall off of it."

"Agreed."

Me and Althea are currently in the girls' bathroom and I am telling her all about Saturday.

We have grown closer over the past few weeks. A lot faster and easier than I would have thought I'd make a friend here. Or anywhere.

But there's something different about her. I don't get an uneasy feeling or hesitate. I feel... comfortable around her. Like I can be myself and she won't judge me.

There are of course a few scarce moments when I doubt. But that's just me and my trust issues. They fade quickly, as soon as they arise, and I am back to smiling and laughing with her.

She always takes my side when I tell her things. Never questioning me and unfailing to stand up for me.

I really hope we can stay like this.

"I mean, what does that even mean? Is he trying to prove something?"

"I don't know. All I know is that I want it back. I wear that ring everyday and I won't be able to sleep if he loses it."

"Then you have to get it back."

"Oh, yeah. Just get it back. That's easy. I'll go do that right now."

"Okay, okay. No need to bring out ugly Della."

I give her a look and she sighs heavily.