Chapter 38

Madelaina:

My eyes flutter open after a few minutes of me trying to fall back to sleep.

Well, that isn't entirely true.

I mean, partly, but not all of it.

As soon as consciousness returned to my nerves, I recognised the felling that I was currently experiencing and I didn't want to open my eyes for fear, and fearful delight, that I would find myself in the position that I can now clearly see I am in.

And that position? Wrapped cozily into Lucas's arms. My head tucked under his chin and our legs tangled together.

And I know that this may have been what some sick, twisted part of me wanted, however, I am only taken aback by confusion.

Confusion due to the fact that I distinctly recall his little sister lying between us when we all fell back to sleep. Which has clearly changed since then.

So either she woke up and moves to the other side of him, where she is now snuggled into his back, or... he moved her himself and pulled me closer to him.

The latter is the most probable.

It is also the one that I most hope for.

Does that make me a hypocrite? That I've told myself constantly that he is a jerk and that I could never like him but here I am wanting to be close to him?

Why does he have to be so damn comfortable. And warm. And strong. And h-

Shut up, Madelaina.

I peek over at the window to see that the sky is a dull blue. Still fairly light but dull nonetheless.

I try to move a little so that my head can clear but just as I lift myself, his arms tighten around me, pulling me back down into him.

"Stop moving." He murmurs, sleep coating his low voice.

"It's too hot." I whisper, not wanting to wake the girls who are still on either side of us.

The last time we woke up he said that the WiFi and power had come back on so the heating added to all four of us in his bed really isn't an ideal comfort situation.

"Deal." He grumbles back.

"I don't want to deal." Dio mio. Even in his sleep, he's condescending.

I should remember that.

"Tough."

"Not tough. I'm going to boil alive."

"How can you boil if you're not in a liquid?"

Oh, this-

"Stop being an ass. Just let me sit up-"

The blanket moves behind me and I turn my head to find Alessia looking down at me.

"Della."

"Ye-"

"Did you just say a bad word?"