Chapter 34

Madelaina :

I sigh again and switch off my phone.

I've been trying to distract myself with it but it's no use. I tried starting a new book but I couldn't get into it because my mind has been riddled with thoughts of this morning since.......well, this morning.

Dio, he's so strange.

He doesn't look at me but then says all of those things that proves he has been. When I don't notice.

He lists them off so easily...

Are those not some kind of stalker tendencies?

No. If he was intentionally watching me, he'd make it known. That means he was doing it unintentionally.

But why would he do that?

Maybe it's a habit? He is a perceptive person after all.

I don't know.

This is all just confusing. Not to mention the opposite of what my head needs. I have barely slept this past week. I don't know why the nightmares have come back. I thought I was rid of them. That I was over it. But the fear that I felt, I feel it now too. Just the same.

Maybe I'm not as strong as I thought.

I huff and tilt my head to the open sky.

It isn't that cold today and the sun has been out so I've been sitting in the gardens on a little golden bench.

I like it out here. The birds chirping and the sun's glow making the leaves beam. Almost all of them are no longer green. Burning oranges and reds taking over. I can't wait to see what the gardens are like in the next seasons.

I feel a gust of wind and suddenly the clouds grow a shade darker.

It's going to rain tonight.

But although I do love the rain when I'm inside, I don't completely love it when I'm outside. So, I stand up and start walking to the back door.

Right when I reach the middle of the field that my bedroom window overlooks, I lift my head to Lucas's.

He is not there.

Good.

"I like that green one

"I like that green one." My mother says. Taking a sip of water as she sits on the ottoman in the middle of my closet.

"Do you?"

"Mhm."

"Well then, I'm going to have to burn it."

She glares at me and I roll my eyes.

"Oh calm down. I would never harm a piece of clothing. Well, unless it was actually awful."

"Oh, I know." She laughs with a scoff. "Remember when you were six and you tossed that one dress into the fireplace?"