Chapter 4

Madelaina :

My leg bounces up and down on the heated leather seat.

In.

Out.

It's going to be fine.

Trees whiz by as I gaze out the window, trying to distract myself from the impending anxiety attack that I'm sure isn't too far.

As I get lost in the negative thoughts of all the ways that this meeting could go terribly wrong, my mother begins to speak.

"Della?"

I snap out of it. Lifting my head that was resting on my hand.

"Hm?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, fine," I smile.

She raised her eyebrows "Nervous?"

Damn it.

Every time.

Stupid mom intuition.

My smile fades.

"A little."

"You'll be fine."

I'll be fine.

"You know, I'm pretty sure they have a little girl your age Alessia," she turns to my sister.

Alessia averts her gaze from the game she was playing on her IPad.

"Really?"

"Mhm. Isn't that great? You can make a friend before you start your new school."

Alessia smiles at our mother before her mouth turns down slightly.

She turns to me.

"Will Della get a friend too, mamma?"

My mother thinks for a moment before saying, "I'm not sure they have a child Madelaina's age. Do they?" she looks to my father.

"Not that I'm aware of. We haven't talked much since we left college. It was only a few years ago we started communicating again. And it has been strictly professional."

"Oh well," I smile at my little family. "Who needs friends anyway?" I turn to Alessia and lift her into my lap. "I have you."

She giggles and wraps her arms around me.

I feel the car take a turn and then five seconds later, it stops.

We're here.

That was barely five minutes.

How close do they live?

Fredrico opens the door and my parents climb out, followed by Alessia and tentatively, me.

I follow my family, while anxiously wringing my hands.

When we step up to the door my father turns around.

"Now, these are new people we are meeting and who we will be around for a long time to come so I would really appreciate it if you all could be on your best behaviour."

"Of course, papa," I say with what I hope to be a reassuring smile

"Thank you," he grins back.

Then the door opens.

A small lady appears in a maids uniform.  Her blond hair held back by a pencil and her pale face pulled into a welcoming smile.

"Hello, you must be the Ferraras."