64

Winter came early in the north.

Before the twelfth month could begin, the first big snowfall had already arrived.

In the blink of an eye, over a month has passed since Lisa had suffered military strikes.

At that time, due to the strikes, fatigue from the journey, and the stress built up all this time, the sum of these three reasons resulted in a period of serious illness for Lisa.

Lisa refused to seek treatment despite being delirious with sickness.

Her situation had turned dangerous at one point, severely worrying Jackson and the others.

Fortunately, she gradually returned to health with the passage of time.

After this sickness passed, Jackson sensed that his buddy seemed to have changed.

In Jackson's heart, the Lisa from before was a cold, quiet, and almost unreasonable person. Although her actions were hard to comprehend sometimes, she was just and kind at heart.

But after this ‘serious illness’, Jackson keenly sensed that Lisa had changed. She was still as quiet as ever, but this quiet was largely different from before.

Lisa used to have a quietness that gave a solitary presence. One that pushed people thousands of miles away.

But this new quiet gave a sense of sturdiness. One that was rid of a young naivety, a temperament that was solidified under wind and rain.

This feeling made Jackson find Lisa to be even more reliable.

Before this, Lisa was like a solitary wolf. She had a cold and fierce gaze, and she emitted a dangerous air that made others fear to approach.

But now Lisa was just like a blunt and heavy sword, simple and unadorned; with its edge hidden, it looked plain and unremarkable. But in reality, it was even more fatal and dangerous than before.

In the period where Lisa was sick, as a man of merit who was awarded with a thousand land rights in fiefs, the court dispatched a customary butler for Lisa.

This butler would mainly help Lisa to collect rent from farmers, and to account it in books.

And if Lisa decided to set up a residence, the butler would also be responsible in managing the daily duties of the residence.

Lisa had just been promoted to a thousand, so the first fief would have to wait for the next autumn to come around before it could be received.

Fortunately, Charles, Jonathan and Jennie have each awarded her with plenty of silver before she left the capital.

Lisa thought for a bit, then she handed all her silver to the butler. She had him purchase a residence in Yangguan city for her.

The butler left to fulfil his orders.

With Jackson's help, they bought a small triple-entrance type residence in the east of Yangguan city for Lisa in a few days.

Additionally, he purchased the needed furniture, and acquired a gatekeeper, a kitchen auntie, errand boy and servant girl…

Once the butler respectfully handed over the title deed, two long-term hiring contracts and two property contracts to Lisa, there were still quite a number of silvers left.

Lisa looked at the five pieces of paper in her hand in a stupefied daze for a long time.

As someone born from poverty, she had never thought that she would be able to live such a life.

Lisa recuperated in the east-wing of Jackson's residence, while Jackson busied in and out with the butler to help her set up her new residence.

Gyomei and Muichiro would also come over to help when they were free.