24

LISA

I set the food box on my desk, then sat down and stared at it blankly.

After staring at it for a while, I opened the food box layer by layer. 

It contained four types of intricately made desserts.

I  had never seen such exquisite desserts before, let alone know any of their names.

I laid out each plate in a row, observing them one by one.

The first plate was a serving of glittery and translucent jellies. 

I picked up a piece carefully, raising it for a closer look. I could see the petals of osmanthus flowers inside. Holding it under my nose, I caught the faint fragrance of osmanthus flowers.

The second plate of desserts were even more ingeniously crafted. It formed the picture of yuanyang ducks playing in water, and when I smelled it, it had the refreshing fragrance of green beans.

The desserts on the third plate were made in the shape of lotus flowers, but each petal was a different color.

And the last plate had blooming peony flowers that looked true to life...

In all sixteen years of my life, I had never seen desserts taken to this level of craft. 

Resting my chin on my palm, I looked from one plate to the next, breathing in the delicately sweet fragrance of the deserts. All of them simply looked too beautiful to be eaten.

"Buddy, I brought you your food!"

Jackson swaggered into my tent with two big bowls of food.

Seeing that I was entirely focused on something on my desk, he approached curiously. His eyes lit up at the plates of exquisite pastries.

He set the food bowls on the desk, then he swiftly scooped a yuanyang duck from the plate of 'Yuanyang Ducks Playing in Water', shoving it into his mouth.

"Mmn!!!!!"

He chewed quickly, making a bunch of strange noises. Once the dessert was completely in his stomach, he looked at me with wide eyes: "Buddy, how could you! You had something so delicious but you didn't think to call me over!"

Without waiting for my response, he swiftly attacked the other three plates with his hand, shoving the pieces in his mouth...

"Mmn!!!!!! Heaven on earth! I've never eaten desserts this good in my life— buddy, you should try some too!"

"Ai..."

I sighed, heart aching at the mess he was making of the artful desserts.

Starting to feel anxious once he was reaching towards the plates for the third time, I smacked his hand away, then picked up a piece of osmanthus cake I was most eager to try and shoved it in my mouth.

"Mmmn~~!" I let out a sound of happiness the same way Jackson did.

The dessert melted instantly on my tongue, and it left a lingering fragrance in my mouth. I had never tasted something so good in my entire life.

"Buddy!"

Not happy to be smacked away, Jackson reached towards another plate.

Smack!

I smacked his hand away again without any hesitation, then ate a piece from the other three plates each at lightning speed.

"Mmmn~~~~~!"

Jackson watched me chew happily, my eyes turning into crescents. 

He hissed through his teeth: "Liam, you've gone too far now!"