35

LISA

Each of the bowls used in the military camp are five times bigger than the bowls in the Viceroy's estate.

Although I was a woman, life in the military had turned my appetite to one of an ordinary adult man.

Suddenly faced with a dinner that's half of the usual portion, I kept feeling somewhat empty, like I was missing something.

Being a city near the borders, Yangguan city did not have much of a night life.

Once the banquet ended, everyone left to rest for the night in their respective rooms.

I, however, dared not to let my guard down.

I personally inspected the estate's grounds and surroundings, then personally arranged the guards' patrol areas and shifts with emphasis on the Princess' courtyard and bedroom.

To demonstrate his respect for Her Highness and Sir Brute, Sir Neji had asked for some additional forces from Yangguan city's authorities.

They were handed over to my command temporarily.

I sent that batch of officers to patrol Sir Brute's courtyard.

Once I had completed all preparations, I inspected the entire estate inside and out one more time, including fire safety for the woodshed and kitchen, and all other possible dangers.

I finally returned to my own room when I was absolutely sure that no problems would arise...

I felt somewhat nostalgic as I studied my bedroom, because I had only lived in tents ever since I enlisted in the army.

It had been a long time since I stayed in a house with doors, windows, and four walls.

Knock knock knock.

Someone knocked on the door behind me before I could sit down.

"Who is it?"

"Battalion Commander, this maid is Yeri. Her Highness has sent me here."

Hearing this, I went to open the bedroom door.

"Battalion Commander, these are desserts that Her Highness sent this maid to deliver."

I looked down at the tray that the maid presented with both hands. There were two plates of dessert on it.

I accepted the tray from her at once, then thanked her: "I've troubled you, please give my thanks to Her Highness for me."

Hearing that, she gave her salutations, then she answered: "Her Highness told this maid that the estate's food portions are rather small, and travel has been hard, so Battalion Commander must still be hungry. This maid has also been ordered to wait here. If the battalion commander is still hungry after this, this maid will fetch more."

With that said, Yeri smiled behind her hand with an understanding look.

"No, no, no, there is no need for that. Miss, please go back and rest. This is enough for me, it's enough."

My face turned hot when I saw Yeri looking at me in such a way.

With one hand holding the tray and the other closing the door halfway, I said to her again: "Miss, please return, there's no need to wait here. We have to be on the road again tomorrow. I have enough to eat, really. Thank you."

Then I shut the door audibly.

I placed the two plates of desserts that the Princess sent on the table, then I sat down and stared at them, feeling somewhat bashful.