48

With his wide sleeve, Charles protected Jennie in his arms as he walked towards the main hall of the castle.

The texture of her clothes felt prickling and coarse in his hand.

His heart ached even more...

Charles did not have a clear idea about who had sent assassins for Jennie, but it could not be further than those few 'good sons' of his.

It was not that Charles didn't care for Jennie. It was just the opposite.

He cared very much for Jennie, but Charles had more concerns about the royal family's reputation.

Every word and action of his was recorded by the analogging officials.

There were many things that Charles could not say or investigate. He would even need to pretend to not know anything as to avoid being recorded.

Charles did not want the historical books to record him as a ruthless murderer of kin for his time as the King.

But when Charles looked at how thin his daughter had gotten, how her clothes were so rough and unseemly, his heart still ached...

Jennie and Charles had just settled down when Nayeon returned.

She kneeled before Charles and Jennie: "This maid greets Your Majesty."

"You may rise."

"Thanks to Your Majesty."

"Your Highness..."

Jennie nodded, so Nayeon continued: "Your Highness, Battalion Commander refused us maids fervently from attending to his bath. Insisting that men and women have boundaries, he had sent everyone out."

Hearing this, Jennie could not stop the curve of her lips. Her mind flashed with Lisa's stubborn and traditionalist manner, so she answered: "Battalion Commander is from the common folk, so he is unaccustomed to the etiquette of the palaces. Just do as he says."

"Your Highness, there aren't any clothes for men in the castle, and the Crown Prince's old clothes are too small. What does Your Highness think should be done about this?"

"Jennie, who is this person that Nayeon speaks of?"

"Father, my safe return is owed to this person. He is Liam Manoban, Battalion Commander of the Flying-Feather in uncle's military camp. If it wasn't for him risking his life to save me during my encounter with assassins, escorting me for the entire journey, fighting mountain bandits and local ruffians, this daughter may not have returned safe and sound."

"Oh? So he is a person of merit. Someone come."

"Your majesty!"

The steward eunuch walked with a bowed posture to Charles' side. He waited for his orders.

"Go to the clothing bureau and find a set of prince's casual clothes for this Liam to wear."

"Father..., that may be too much."

"Ai~ my child thinks too much. That's just a set of casual clothes. Plus, he has rescued my beloved daughter. What he deserves would not just be a set of prince's clothes. He would deserve even riches, or a high and well-paying position."

"Then this daughter thanks Father in Liam's place."

"Your Highness, may this servant ask what is the Battalion Commander's measurements? So that this servant may retrieve the right clothes."

"Liam is of sixteen years, his measurements are similar to Bobby. Find a set of casual clothes that were made for him."

"Thank you, Your Highness."