45

Jennie was stunned by Lisa's answer. 

Lisa lowered her head to continue stitching up her own wound. With one last stitch, it was finished.

Lisa cut away the excess of Jennie's hair. 

After wiping the needle clean in the cloth, she placed it back in the small woven pan.

The atmosphere in the room was very quiet. 

Jennie looked at Lisa, still mulling over what she just said.

Sometimes, when someone who was always strong revealed signs of fragility, it would be much more impactful than the tears of someone who was always soft and weak.

Jennie had seen both times where Lisa accepted the pain of stitches without making a sound. 

Lisa's obstinate and enduring expression left a deep impression on her. And it was exactly because of this that Jennie would ask such a question. 

To Jennie, someone who was so tough and tolerant like Lisa had probably never cried other than when she was a child...

But she did not expect Lisa to give her such an answer. Lisa had shed tears during the first time that she killed a Hun. 

What sort of powerful emotion could pierce through this person's obstinance and perseverance? Jennie's heart ached as she thought.

"My apologies..."

"It's no big deal. The water is about to cool, you should go wash up quickly."

"I'll help you bandage it first."

"Thank you."

Jennie smeared the jinchuang medicine evenly over the crooked stitches that Lisa made, then she wrapped up Lisa's injury with a clean and neatly cut cloth.

Jennie went to take her bath, while Lisa took this opportunity to change a set of clothes.

She would never dare to take a bath in such a small space, but the stench of blood on her was simply too thick. She had to change a set of clothes.

By the time Jennie walked out from behind the folding screen, Lisa had already made her bed on the floor.

Seeing that Jennie was done bathing, Lisa said immediately: "Jen, we should rest early."

With that said, Lisa went ahead to lie down without waiting for Jennie's answer.

Jennie felt touched as she looked at Lisa lying on the floor. 

The regular-sized bed of an inn couldn't compare to a brick bed of a farmer's house. There would inevitably be bodily contact between two people on such a small bed. 

Jennie did not speak as she walked to the bed.

She laid on the bed, but she felt no inclination to sleep at all.

What Lisa had said earlier was still echoing in her ears. The more she mulled over it, the heavier it felt, and the more Jennie's heart ached.

"Liam, are you asleep yet?"

"Not yet. What's the matter?"

"...Could you tell me something from your past?"

"My past?"

"Before you entered the military."

Lisa stayed silent for a moment: "Alright, let me think."

Having said that, Lisa slowly closed her eyes. 

Scene after scene from her memories poured to the surface...

"To be honest, our family was just a peasant and couldn't be enlisted to military. Before I enlisted, I lived with my parents and my... sister. In a village called Elderville. My dad was the only scholar in the village, and my mom was a good-natured lady. When we were kids, mom would always protect us whenever me and my sister were about to be punished by our daddy for being mischievous. Her name was Lisa. We were twins, and we looked very alike. Our parents often couldn't tell who was the sister and who was the brother, so eventually me and Lisa had a new game to play. She would tie my hair into twin buns and switch clothes with me, then she would disguise as me. The both of us would run out like this, and everyone in our whole village would mistake us both."