37

On the same day of the assassination attempt, at an 'appropriate' hour, a certain caravan of merchants passed by that road.

When the viceroy of Huzhou city arrived at the scene with a group of officers, they saw twenty dead and bloody bodies strewn across the road, a Yuhuacong horse that died with its eyes open, the wreckage of a horse carriage far from the bodies, and a dead horse in front of it with a dagger in its rear, lying in a pool of blood.

The officers found three more spooked horses further down the road and brought them back.

"Did you find anybody?" The viceroy walked unsteadily towards the returning officers.

"Sir, we only found three spooked horses. We've just led them back. Other than this, we did not see anyone."

Hearing this, the viceroy's legs wobbled, and he tumbled onto the ground.

"Sir, Sir! Are you alright!"

"Search, send out everyone to search along the road, they must be found."

"Understood!" The officer set off immediately.

The viceroy of Huzhou looked upon the dried pool of blood and cried out in despair: "I'm doomed!"

His eyes rolled to the back of his head. Unable to take the shock, he had fainted.

That night, after a fruitless search, the viceroy had no choice but to accept 'reality'.

He ordered for a folded report to be written, then he took the report to the capital himself, travelling through day and night.

***

Capital City, Back Palace

Charles received the viceroy's report on the third day of Jennie's 'disappearance'.

That day, Charles had already fallen asleep at Consort Charlotte's bed palace.

Seeing that things were urgent, the head eunuch braced himself as he called Charles awake from slumber.

Charles took the report presented by the head eunuch, and instantly, hot blood rushed to his head.

He tore the blanket off the royal bed and got up, slapping the head eunuch so hard that it turned him around in a circle. The head eunuch fell to the floor.

Seeing this, Charlotte stayed silent.

Once Charles had stormed out of the bedchamber, Charlotte finally dared to call for a palace maid to attend to herself.

Charles strode up to the kneeling viceroy of Huzhou and, not caring where, he threw his foot at him.

The pitiful Viceroy was already gaining in years.

After three days and nights of hurried journey, filled with anxiety and fears all the way, a kick like that was enough to make him faint right away, saving some trouble.

Looking down at the fainted viceroy, Charles still had anger to vent, "Drag this damned thing out to be beheaded at once, and pass on this decree. All properties of the viceroy of Huzhou are to be confiscated. All male family members above fourteen are to be beheaded, and those under fourteen are to be exiled to Yizhou for wall repairs and shall not be released until death. The women will be sent to prostitution, and any distant relatives are forbidden from official positions for life." Charles said to the imperial guard next to him.

"Right away, Your Majesty!"

The imperial guard promptly dragged the unconscious viceroy out, keeping his head low out of fear of the King's wrath.