34

"Come in!"

Receiving permission, Lisa entered Carl's tent. He was sitting at the desk, reading a book of notes in his hand.

"Your injuries are pretty much healed, yes?"

"Yes, it is all thanks to Her Highness. This lowly one and Jackson could recover so quickly only because Her Highness sent her female doctors to treat us right away."

Hearing that, Carl put down his notes and looked up. He stared at Lisa's face for a long while.

Lisa felt uneasy under Carl's scrutiny.

Her back began to sweat, and she clenched her fists discreetly. She kept her posture straight, letting Carl size herself up.

Carl asked calmly: "What did you come here for?"

"Reporting the Commander-in-Chief. This lowly one heard that Her Highness will be returning to the capital in a few days, but all of the guards she brought along have died in battle. This lowly one volunteers to lead a team to escort the Princess back to the capital, so as to repay Her Highness for her life-saving grace."

With that said, Lisa watched Carl, her heart pounding nervously in her chest.

To Lisa, Carl was an existence like the towering mountains.

Lisa may have been in the army for over two years now, but the number of times she saw Carl before could be counted on one hand.

The mysterious would always beget respect.

That was pretty much Lisa's mentality at the moment. Furthermore, she believed herself to be lowly, whose words carried little weight.

To bring up such a request to Carl in a period of turbulence made her feel unusually perturbed.

Carl contemplated Lisa's words for a long time.

Suddenly, he broke into laughter, then he said to Lisa: "What a coincidence. The Princess came to my tent earlier, hoping that I could let you lead a team to escort her back to the capital."

Carl observed Lisa as he spoke.

Since the flash of astonishment on Lisa's face seemed genuine, he smiled, changing his tone: "The Princess said that since she is only a visitor, she doesn't know a lot of people here. The only ones who she considers capable and reliable are you, and Jackson. But since Jackson's leg is injured, she can only ask for you. This old man was just thinking about sending someone to call you here and ask if you'd be willing to escort the Princess to the capital city for me, but you've spared this old man that effort, volunteering on your own."

Hearing that from Carl, Lisa knelt on one knee: "Sir, please rest assured. This lowly one will definitely escort Her Highness safely back to the capital."

"Mm, I believe in your capability. The Princess will depart tomorrow, I will appoint a team of men and horses for you. You may go back now to make preparations."

"Thank you, Sir."

***

However, an unexpected event happened on the day of departure...

In just a few short days, Jennie's personal maid, Jieun, had developed sentiments with Jackson.

Before the troop set off for the capital, Jieun suddenly knelt on the floor before the public eye.

She pleaded with Jennie to allow her to stay in the military camp, so that she may look after Jackson until he recovered fully.

Meanwhile, Jackson also hopped his way over and laid on the ground to plead for Carl's permission.