8

Dressed in a plain, light-colored palace dress, Jennie headed to Winterfell in a four-horse carriage.

The capital had wide streets. There was more than enough space to accommodate a four-horse carriage, but even so, the common folks knew to stay out of its way.

In kingdom's 'Kingdom Etiquette', quote: The son of heaven rides with six, the heir rides with five. Dukes with four, ministers three, officials two, commoners one.

The Princess is equal to the ministers, while the Eldest Princess may enjoy the privilege of Dukes.

Since it was a four-horse carriage, its noble status was evident no matter how plain the carriage looked.

Noble Conrad was already waiting by the gates when Jennie alighted the carriage.

"Noble Conrad has been troubled, I shall give my thanks here."

"Please come in, Your Highness."

The Duke of Winterfell's duchy was not very big, but it was quiet and beautiful. There was rockery in its courtyard, and the interior was decorated with rich silks and brocades. It had a garden with bamboo and pines, luxuriantly green.

Escorted by Noble Conrad, Jennie came to the main hall of the duchy.

The Duchess and the seven year old Earl, Harry, were already waiting there.

"Greetings to royal brother, sister-in-law."

"Greetings, Your Royal Highness." The mother and son bowed as they both greeted Jennie.

Jennie helped Harry up, then she rubbed his head fondly as she said: "Harry has already gotten so big after two years. You carry yourself with the graceful bearing of a Duke, truly the son of a heroic father."

"Thanks, your highness!"

Victor smiled too: "Take a seat, royal sister. All of the wine today is sujiu, and the meat dishes are all made with three net meat. Please enjoy it freely."

"Royal brother has been considerate."

Victor sat on the master's seat, while Jennie sat on the right.

The Duchess sat on the left. Harry sat by her side, while Noble Conrad sat on the last seat.

Victor clapped his hands, then a line of servant girls flowed in. Exquisite dishes filled up the table in the turn of an eye.

"Royal sister, this desert mutton is a specialty of my land. You must have a try." Victor personally carved a piece of meat from the whole lamb as he spoke, then he placed it on Jennie's plate.

Jennie tasted it, then she smiled: "To think that royal brother's land actually had such delicacies... It is a great regret for me to only get a taste of it today."

Hearing that, Victor laughed loudly: "Royal sister, oh royal sister, when have you become so gluttonous? If royal sister likes it, I'll send you a cook from my estate. You'll be able to eat it whenever you wish."

"Then I will give older brother many thanks."

Once the meal was mostly over, Victor gave Noble Conrad a look. The latter understood at once; he invited the Duchess and Harry back outside. Then he stood guard outside the hall.

The siblings met each other's eyes. 

Jennie went straight to the point: "I came in place of Jonathan. A vacant seat awaits, may brother take charge of the greater picture."

Victor had not expected that Jennie wouldn't beat around the bush. Stunned for a moment, he picked up the wine cup before him. 

He answered leisurely after a sip: "Why does royal sister say such things? The Crown Prince is the legitimate heir. Though he is young, his blood is pure, and he has done no wrong before. Why talk of a vacancy?"