61

It was just as Mia had said. Marcus came down from the second level a short while after they sat down.

He walked directly to Lisa and Mia's table: “Greetings young master, this one is Marcus Fiero. I noticed the young master’s noble and dignified air from the upper floor. I wonder if this young master is willing to have a good chat with this humble one on the upper floor instead?”

Lisa had not expected that Mia would really call it.

She got up in delight, then she gave a courtesy to Marcus: “I'm Liam Manoban, I’ll thank you for your hospitality.”

Marcus noticed the jade pendant hanging on Lisa's waist right away.

He smiled as he asked: “Young master Manoban's jade pendant is quite novel.”

Lisa's heart rang with alarm when she heard this from Marcus, but she did not reveal a trace of it. She smiled casually at him as she said: “This jade pendant was gifted by a friend.”

“Hahahaha, that must be a beautiful woman. You have good fortune!”

Jennie's smile flashed before Lisa's eyes. She did not continue the conversation.

Just like that, Lisa hit a connection with Marcus by using the cover of a head of a tailoring family.

Additionally, she made an arrangement to go to the capital together for a look at the scope of the fabric business, so as to make good business down the line.

Marcus did not have a shred of suspicion for Lisa's words.

Marcus dragged Lisa into drinking and chatting without needing any further explanation.

In the end, Marcus took up the whole tab. He had even picked a lady that was just bought in and who had yet to become a marriageable age, to let Lisa have a taste of freshness.

Backed to a corner, Lisa had no choice but to punish herself with three cups of wine.

Coming up with all sorts of excuses under a crowd of loud laughter, she left the Hundred Flower Inn in a fluster.

Lisa had thought that if she could find a pretext to travel with Marcus, she could track down more clues about the the fabric business.

But unexpectedly, Marcus wasn’t just in no hurry to leave; he stayed in Fanli city for over ten days, enjoying the nightlife, sleeping drunkenly at the Hundred Flower inn every night.

Lisa was burning in anxiety for all those days, but she had no other plans…

On one hand, Marcus had clearly moved from Huzhou city with extreme urgency, but he no longer hurried once he was at Fanli city.

He had even stayed in a brothel for over ten days. It was truly a cause for suspicion.

But on the other hand, Lisa feared she may have cast her suspicions in the wrong direction.

If this fabric business was innocent, then they have already wasted too much time.

The clues for the missing provisions must have surely been cut off!

Lisa kept having a very bad feeling these days. It was as if she was seen through, as if she had nowhere to hide. It constantly lingered around her heart.

She could not pinpoint where she went wrong, but she felt as if she had already lost at her very first move. That made her even more uneasy.

The provisions were lost.

If the rations meant for an army of over hundreds of thousands to pass the winter couldn’t be found, the results would be too horrifying to imagine.

Lisa did not regret taking responsibility over this matter. She simply feared that her comrades would have to face the frost with empty stomachs because of her own failure.