"Really Aunty?" I ask, hoping that this isn't a sick joke.

"Really." She smiles wide and pulls the pink cake out. "Now go and throw yourself a little party. I'll see you tomorrow at 7 am. Sharp." My mouth hangs open.

"Thank you, Aunty. Thank you so much." She smiles at me and passes me the cake.

"See you tomorrow." She winks at me and I almost skip all the way home. We might actually make it!

I arrive outside the door and I can only smile a big smile when I open it. Kathryn is sitting on the sofa. "Mia? We can't afford it." She says before I can even say a word.

"I worked for it." She opens her mouth, but I stop her. "No, I literally worked for it." She frowns and I explain what happened.

She smiles and we move to the kitchen. "We might make it. It's going to be tight... but we might." She nods her head and I put the cake on the counter. "Where is she?" She motions to upstairs and I bolt up the stairs, I cringe as the stairs creak under my thunderous steps.

I burst through the door and see her drawing a picture looking down, Diego is also there playing with a car that has 3 wheels. Nathan watches how the car sort of 'drives' saying oohs and aahs.

"I've got a surprise for you." I say and wiggle my eyebrows at her. She looks up at me with bored eyes.

"I'm not up for games, Mia, please. It was a bad day." She turns her attention back to the picture.

"Fine, then I'll not give the birthday girl something." I giggle when her eyes snap up to me with a sparkle. "Come look." I say and she jumps up and rushes past me. "Tsk tsk." I scold her playfully. "No running for a princess." She rolls her eyes at me and I pick her up.

I rush downstairs and hear Diego coming after us with Nathan in his arms. I arrive in the kitchen and I put her down gently. Kathryn has put in 8 birthday candles that are almost completely burnt out.

"Close your eyes." She obeys with a massive grin.

"Ahhh... lucky..." Diego says with a bit of jealousy in his voice.

"And open." I say as I move to see her face. She opens her eyes and she gasps.

"Oh wow..." she looks at me with glossy eyes. "Thank you, Mia..." she hugs me tightly and it makes it all worth it.

...

We polished that cake, we haven't had cake in ages. So that was our lunch and supper for the day. Vicky was so happy for it. And we actually had a good time that was not filled with fear of when our next meal would be.

My shift at the diner was slow, so practically no tips. But atleast I went to bed with a tummy full of cake.

I glance at my phone and see it's 6:30am as I walk out the door. I pull out my phone and send both Ryan and Sara, telling them how lucky I am to get this job.

I smile as I stop in front of the bakery just before 7 am, the lady opens the door. "Right on time."

She lets me in and we get to work. I learn that everyone calls her Bets, and she has been running the bakery ever since her dad passed away a few years ago. No kids, but is married.

She shows me how to measure out the ingredients correctly and also how to mix it correctly without making lumps, then she shows me how to knead the dough, which I find very therapeutic.

I stare at the bread that is now in the oven, unable to believe that my hands made them. "You know you're pretty good at making them?" I look up at her with big eyes.

"Really?" I ask in a quiet voice. "I've never been good at anything..." I say softly as I break eye contact.

"Mia... everyone has their strengths... sometimes, it just takes a while to find it." I smile at her words. Something I'm finally good at...

Once they come out, I have a broad database of knowledge on baking and recipes.

We let them cool slightly and she cuts one loaf open and puts a bit of butter on both sides. She passes me the one half, and she takes the other.

I close my eyes and savour the warm bread. Man, this is good. "I have never had bread that was just just baked." I admit and I see the sadness in her face. "It's been really hard the past few months."

I confide in her a bit of our struggles and she nods her head sympathetically. "Well, if you ever have a gap in your busy schedule, pop in and I'll see if there's anything that you can do." I say my thanks and we continue.

I'm on my way home. I've got a big smile on my face, it's about 2ish now and I decide it's time to see Sara. I pull out my phone and see I have messages from my 2 contacts.

Ryan: I'm so glad, Mia. I wish I could be there to celebrate with you.

I type back my reply.

Mia: Yeah, me too. But I'm going to see if Sara is up for celebrating.

I switch over to Sara's message.

Sara: Ah, Mia. I'm so happy for you.

Mia: What are your plans for the rest of the day?

Sara: I have a competition tomorrow, so I have to rest.

I frown. It's Sunday tomorrow...

Mia: On a Sunday?

It's a while before she answers.

Sara: Yeah...

Mia: So I guess you're not up to a visit, then?

Sara: Sorry, Mia... not today... what are you going to do?

Mia: I got nothing else to do, so I think I'm going to go to the river.

Sara: Ah, that's nice. I hope you enjoy watching the sunset.

I smile, knowing that I will enjoy it.

I change my direction and go to the river. Maybe some time by myself will de-stress me.

...

I sit where Ryan and I were that day. I snap a picture of the view and send it to him with the caption. 'Remember this place?'

I lean back and stare at the sky. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. Maybe we'll make it.

I drift slightly, but I bolt upright when lights shine on me in utter darkness. I begin to panic as I stare at the headlights come closer.

Do you think Mia has everything under control? Who do you think is in the car?