4.8 ] Mother Sasha

••●••

••●••

EVERYONE ELSE IS definitely feeling awkward than me. Usually, I'm the queen of awkwardness, but I already had to deal with seeing Elliot and not saying anything - so I'm pretty checked out in awkwardness when Margeux and Reign show up. 

Team X usually arrives earlier than we're meant to, mainly because we want to get comfortable - not because we want to sleep. As much as Odyssey and Elliot hate this little meetup, I kind of enjoy it. 

It's a day off of work. I eat and sleep and do some maladaptive daydreaming - I'm all set is what I'm trying to say. 

"Hi." Vika - out of all people - says. 

"Hey." Reign returns. He's lucky he's so grumpy and careless, because otherwise he would be awkwardly standing there with no idea what to do. Because he's not, he waltz right up to our row, Margeux behind him, and finds their seats. 

Margeux doesn't say anything. I don't expect her to. But it's more loud when she's silent. 

"You, uh, ready for your speech?" I ask Reign, now that we're all here.

He nods, "Ready to get it over with."

"Thanks for taking it," Odyssey yawns, "I didn't want anyone trying to get me to-"

"We know." We all say in unison. Minus Margeux. Again. Who keeps to herself. The longer I subconsciously observe her, the more I realise she's different. 

Not crazy and scary and careless. She's nervous. Scared herself. Worried. As much as she tries to hide it, I'm good at reading people. 

She doesn't get to stay quiet for long though. Because to my surprise, innocent sweet old Heather walks right up in front of her. 

Margeux looks out. Accepts her eye contact. Doesn't say anything. 

"Liam usually likes Check Up Day." She says, "He liked getting into arguments with Team Y."

Margeux nods slowly, "Okay."

"And now he can't." She tilts her head, "Because you killed him."

Okay! We're using the K word, that's great that's perfect-

"I did." Margeux nods again. 

Shit shit shit. The tension definitely isn't what it should be-

"Maybe I could kill you," Heather's voice rises, "Say you were trying to kill me and get away with it."

Abort - please abort - please just shut the fuck up-

"You could." Margeux hums.

"Fuck you." Heather bites. 

Margeux sighs, "I'm sorry."

"No you're not," She shakes her head, "Why are you here? You shouldn't be here - why are you-"