3.8 ] Why Are You Laughing?

••●••

••●••

I DON'T EVEN bother taking my clothes off when I eventually step into the shower. They're just as sticky as my hair and skin - so I'll need to rinse them anyway before I wash them. The fact that I feel no different in and out of the water shows how truly drenched in gore I am. 

The sound of someone walking in, water sloshing in their footsteps as they fully enter the showers, has me opening my eyes under the running water.

"Hello?" I peer out, walking out from behind the shower wall/ledge thing posted in the middle of the room. It definitely feels cooler now that I don't have the hot water running over me, my black clothes clinging to me for dear life and feeling rather uncomfortable. I should probably take them off now. Most of the blood is gone anyway. As much that can be at least. 

The only thing stopping me is the other entity in this room, still not replying to my call. 

"Um, hi?" I face the doorway that leads to the change rooms where you have to go in to come here. 

When I look, I see Liam. 

Nothing has changed about him from when I saw him last. He stays standing there, silent, watching me with an almost colourless look in his eyes. 

"Liam." I state his name in an almost-greeting. Still, he doesn't respond.

"I'm sorry." He says. And what really scares me - not the suddenness or the fact that coming from him it should be a joke - is the sincerity. He fucking means it. Why is he sorry?

"What are you doing?" I step back on the slippery shower floor. 

"I can't have you - I just. I worry for everyone on the team. I'm doing this for our safety." He finally moves stalking towards me. He sounds like he's trying to convince himself.

"Liam - what safety - what are you-"

"You're dangerous, Margeux." He says abruptly. Solemnly. 

"We all are." I bite back. 

"We are," He agrees, "But we kill for our job. You kill for fun."

I feel my heart rate pick up when he keeps on getting closer.

He's going to kill me. That's what this is. 

Usually I'm excited when men get close to me like this. When they give me an opportunity. But none of them have been task force members who's jobs are designed to kill. Even the men I killed like an hour ago were shit! With a knife and agility, anyone could take them out. They were easy. Pathetic. The only reason Vika got shot in the first place was because we were surprised.  

Every man I have killed before has never scared me even a little bit. Maybe because I knew I wouldn't die then. Now I'm not quite so sure. 

"What's it to you?" I blurt out, voice different. Usually, I'm cocky. Right now, I'm not.