Especially since earlier, when I was guarding the door.

As I listened to the sound of water coming from inside the house, I could not resist taking a whiff of my own body.

Sure enough, it was that usual scent.

I furrowed my brows. Such a smell permeated the entire military camp, but now I felt uneasy about my odor.

I did not want the Princess to smell my sweat, or to see me being so unkempt.

Particularly when I saw what she was like after a bath, I began to feel even more self-conscious about my dirty state.

Fortunately, when I was putting away the chopped firewood in the woodshed, I found that it had an empty area with more than enough space for a wooden barrel.

I gave the old couple a notice beforehand, and Her Highness would certainly not come to the woodshed.

I took a bath as quickly as I could, then sneaked a change of clothes from the donkey carriage.

Once that was all done, I raised up my arm to take a careful sniff.

I finally let out a satisfied smile.

Refreshed and relaxed, I returned to the west house.

***

Jennie had yet to lay down in the west house. She was still sitting prim and properly on the brick bed.

Lisa took a look past Jennie, then she immediately understood the problem.

There was only one blanket and pillow.

Saying nothing, Lisa gave Jennie a quick smile, then she went back to the donkey carriage to pick up a wrapped bundle before returning to the west house.

Lisa placed the bundle on the furthest side of the brick bed, then she said: "Jen, due to the circumstances, you'll have to put up with these conditions tonight, but this brick bed seems pretty large to me, so I'll sleep at the foot of the bed. You can sleep at the front, is that alright?"

Seeing Jennie nod, Lisa proceeded to take off her own shoes, then she jumped up onto the bed.

Lisa rested her head on the bundle while she lay on her side, leaving the rest of the bed to Jennie.

Jennie was thankful for Lisa's considerations. However, she had never tried falling asleep within sight of an 'unfamiliar' man before.

Taking a glance at Lisa's back, Jennie set her pillow properly, then she got onto the brick bed slowly. She laid down and covered herself up with the blanket.

"Liam... are you alright without a blanket?"

Lisa could tell from Jennie's voice that she had already laid down, so she turned over from her side.

Lying face-up on the brick bed, she answered: "It's no problem. This brick bed can be heated until sunrise, and it's really much more comfortable than our military camp's wooden bed. I'd be fine even without a blanket."
.
.
.
.
.

"Jen, go to sleep. We have another day of travelling tomorrow."

"Mm."

Hearing Jennie's voice, Lisa gave a quiet smile, then she closed her eyes.

Shortly after, the sound of her breathing turned deep and even.

However, Jennie could not sleep at all.

This was such a hard bed; Jennie had never slept in a bed so solid before in her life.

She felt that her whole back was turning numb just by laying on it.