Chapter 27

The big apple. New York. I had a love/hate relationship with this city. It's where I grew up. It's where my mom died. I was only 13 when we left.

As promised, Chris had come to New York for the weekend and then would be joining me on the rest of my tour after the Boston show. He was even going to bring Dodger along for the rest of the tour. It was exactly what I needed. After my fight with Scarlett, I had to admit I wasn't doing well. The temptation to go back to what I knew was strong. Chris was a good rock. A really hot, tall rock with bulging biceps.

He had once again made me go to an NA meeting here in New York. I'm assuming this would be a common theme once he joined me for the rest of the tour. I know he was just looking out for me but god did it make me want to punch him in his stupid perfect face sometimes. But he does have my best interests in mind. So, it was either NA or rehab and the latter was not an attractive option. It did me some good but I hated that place. Stupid white walls.

"Have you spoken to Scarlett?" Chris asked me as I sat in my hair and makeup chair. "Nope. I don't want to either." "Phee-" "You didn't hear what she said to me. It hurt." He sighed but dropped the topic.

"Chris, can you go get me a bottle of water?" I asked. "Of course." He got up and walked out of the room. "With a straw please!" My makeup artist yelled after him. "He's so well trained." My hair stylist said. I laughed and shook my head. "Here you go." He handed me the bottle of water with a straw in it. "Thank you." I smiled at him and he sat back down on the couch. "So are you going to sing any surprise songs tonight?" Ralph said, walking into my dressing room.

"I told you, I was sorry about that." I groaned. He took a seat next to Chris. "Well you did it in Las Vegas and Phoenix. If you want it added to the tour, just tell me and we'll make a set list adjustment."

"No, I don't want it added. It just felt right in those two cities. Las Vegas because well, I was not well...I was on drugs. Sorry, Ralphie. And then Phoenix felt right because it's where I almost died from drugs." I explained. "Well New York is-" I sent him a glare and he stopped talking. Next to Scarlett and now Lisa, Ralph was the only one who really knew why I left 13 years ago. I didn't like talking about it.

"Okay, well if you choose to sing something totally brand new, a heads up would be great." He said, wiping his hands on his pants and standing up. "You go on in an hour." "We'll have her done in like 10." He nodded at the stylists and walked out of the room.

"Scarlett texted me and said she and Colin will be here tonight..." Chris spoke up from the couch. "Great, I'm sure she's dying to yell at me again." I remarked. He sighed, "Phee, she loves you. I know she was way out of line but-" "But I don't really give a fuck." I snapped.

"Phoenix." His voice was stern as he looked at me. "Sorry." I mumbled. "Baby, what did she say to you?"

I took a deep breath and tears started forming in my eyes. "No, no, no. No tears. You can talk about this later." My makeup artist said, trying to stop the incoming tears.

"We need to talk about this now, can you just give her a tissue? It'll be a minute or two." My makeup artist groaned and passed me a tissue. "Don't rub, try not to let any tears fall." I nodded and they walked out, giving us a moment alone. I debated telling him about the whole other family drama but decided against it. That was a conversation for another day. Not an hour before I went on stage.

"She said I didn't need you as a distraction because I'm a recovering addict. Then she said you'd dump me for the next best thing or one of your co-starts and that I wouldn't be able to handle it because I'm an unstable drug addict." Tears welled in my eyes again and Chris took the tissue from my hand and placed it at my eye, tapping gently. "That's not true Phoenix."

"Yes it is! You know what I did in Vegas. Then in Arizona, I begged James to give me something. I'm not stable!" He wrapped his arms around me and I shoved the tissue in my eye. "Phee, so you've had some setbacks...it happens."

"I know that but what she said still hurts. It hurt coming from my older sister. The person I've looked up too since I could talk and walk. She's never yelled at me like that. Ever."

Chris quickly and carefully tried to dry my eyes as I cried. "Phee, sweetheart, I don't plan on ever leaving you so good luck getting rid of me." I let out a slight laugh as he pulled me into a hug. "She was out of line, Phee. She knows that. Did she tell you she spoke to me? Because we got into it. I yelled right back at her." I pulled away and looked up at him. "And then I told her everything that I love about you. You're strong and beautiful. You're not just a recovering addict that I'm trying to fix and will kick to the curb once I'm done. You don't need fixing, Phee. You're perfect." He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "Now you don't have to forgive her right away, but just think about it." I sighed and nodded. He might not think that if he knew what else she said to me.

He tapped my eyes some more and opened the door for the hair and makeup stylists to come back in.

I was being led in the direction of the trapdoor, with Chris following close behind. "I'll be right out there in the audience." He said, kissing my forehead. "I love you. You'll do great." "I love you too." I kissed him once more before security led me down the stairs below the stage.

-

Liked by @scarlettjohansson, @jimmyfallon, @robertdownyjr, and 5,390,278 others

@chrisevans: catching a glimpse of my favorite star before she shines on stage 💙✨ I love you @pheejohansson

*comments disabled*

-

After the show, I was sitting with Chris in my dressing room looking at the photo he posted on instagram, confirming our relationship. "Who knew you were such an instagram boyfriend." I mumbled. I reposted the photo to my Instagram story and planted a kiss on his cheek. My legs were laying across his lap and I was leaning against his side.

I had finally gotten up and changed out of my dress and was standing in the bathroom, taking off my makeup and fixing my hair when Ralph walked in. His face was pale, like he just saw a ghost. "Phoenix, can I talk to you?" He looked between Chris and I, "alone?" Chris gave me a look. "It's fine, Ralph..." "Are you sure?" I nodded and he took a deep breath. "Your dad is outside." My entire body went rigid. "What?" "He's in the back room." I started hyperventilating a little and felt Chris wrap his arms around me.

"Phoenix??"

"He wants to talk to you..." Ralph continued. My gaze was fixated on the door in front of me. "Why is he here?" I asked. "He said he wants to make amends. I didn't know they let him in until 5 minutes ago." I nodded slowly. Chris's arms were still tight around me. "Phee, I thought Scarlett told me both of your parents were dead?" "He might as well be." I mumbled. My whole body started to shake lightly with anxiety. "Phee, you're shaking. What's going on?"

A/N: In honor of Chris's birthday 🥳 I'll update everything. If you haven't already check out my other stories! I have another Chris story, Andy Barber, Lloyd Hansen, and a few Steve stories!