Chapter 6

Dinner at Scarlett's went great and I was having a great time. Elizabeth Olsen, Anthony Mackie, Jeremy Renner, and Paul Rudd all ended up showing up as well. Everyone was chatting and having a good time but I could feel Chris's eyes on me. Chris gave me a knowing look and I rolled my eyes. I knew what was coming next. I excused myself from the table to go check on Rose. I promised her a bedtime song.

As I walked through the hall, I knew he was following shortly behind me. I heard him ask Scarlett where the restroom was. He pushed me into the guest room and I looked up at him. Nerves rushed through my body, afraid that Scarlett or someone else might see us and misunderstand what was happening. At the same time, I wanted to talk to him.

I couldn't believe we were about to have this conversation in my sisters house while his girlfriend was in the other room. My heart was racing as he looked at me. It had been a month since we shared that kiss, and truthfully, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Something changed inside of me. "I know I shouldn't have kissed you that day." He said. I scoffed and glared at him, "yea no shit." He sighed, running his hand through his hair. "I have a girlfriend, and I never meant to do that to you or hurt her."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "Phoenix, please." "Why did you kiss me?" I looked up and my eyes met his. "I know it's wrong but I can't stop thinking about you, Phee..." He pulled my hands into his own.  "Do you even know how shitty that made me feel?" I pulled my hands from his and took a few steps back. "Phee-" "No. You kissed me out of fucking nowhere and then went off on some romantic get away with your girlfriend, that I conveniently had no idea existed While I sat around like a fucking idiot thinking it meant something."

"It did mean something, Phoenix!" His voice raised slightly. "Clearly." I scoffed and he took a few steps closer to me. "Phoenix, I feel something for you." He took my hands in his, this time I didn't pull away.

"Well I'm not going to sit around and wait for you to choose so."

We stood there in silence for a moment, both of us not knowing what to say. He lifted my chin up gently, making me look into his deep blue eyes. "I don't know what to do." He whispered. I couldn't just ignore the feelings I had for him.

"Let's just forget it ever happened." I said finally, looking away from him. "We can't be together, Chris. You have Jenny, and I have my own issues to deal with. Then there's Scarlett."

"I know. But I can't forget it. I like you, Phoenix. I have for a while. I just don't know how to make it work." I shook my head sadly. "I don't either, Chris."

He nodded in agreement, and we stood there in silence for a few moments longer before I pulled my hands away from his and walked out of the room and into Rose's room. It was clear that Chris and I had a connection that we couldn't ignore, but it was also clear that we couldn't act on it. At least not until he breaks up with his girlfriend. I looked at a sleeping Rose and sat at the foot of her bed. "Rosie." I whispered, placing my hand on her leg. "Phee Phee?" Her eyes opened and she rubbed them gently. "Hey, I promised you a bedtime song didn't I?" She nodded and cuddled into her blanket. "Beauty & the Beast!" She said, happily. I smiled and kissed her forehead.

Tale as old as time
True as it can be
Barely even friends
Then somebody bends
Unexpectedly

Just a little change
Small to say the least
Both a little scared
Neither one prepared
Beauty and the Beast

Ever just the same
Ever a surprise
Ever as before
And ever just as sure
As the sun will rise

Ever just the same
And ever a surprise, yeah
Ever as before
And ever just as sure
As the sun will rise