01. Golden-Eyed Stranger

||Lorelei's P

||Lorelei's P.O.V||

I don't know what I expected as I pulled into the college I would be attending for the next four years. I don't know why I'm here; to try to blend in, perhaps? To try to live a normal life? I guess that's why. Maybe.

Or maybe I'm here to escape the darkness that seems to follow me like a shadow. No matter where I go, it's there. It's lurking, waiting to suck away any happiness I may find. I just want some peace. I know why I'm here.

I'm here because the darkness that follows me isn't something I can just walk away from. It's who I am. I know eventually, I will have to give it what it wants. My soul. My heart. My blood spilled as a sacrifice. Why? Because I'm not a normal human girl, and no matter where I go, I can not escape that fact. But I can still try. At least for a while.

With a heavy sigh and laden shoulders, I parked my car and turned off the engine. I slung my bag over my shoulder and slowly, begrudgingly opened the door and stepped out. I took a long, deep breath, letting the fresh air fill my lungs. A smile automatically flitted to my lips as a gentle breeze blew through my hair.

As I started walking towards the daunting buildings, I could feel several pairs of eyes following me. I could hear their hushed tones as they chattered excitedly amongst themselves. Pausing mid-step, I peered over my shoulder and saw a group of young guys with wild, youthful eyes gazing at me; their mouths half open.

I can understand their reaction. I've grown accustomed to this over the past few years. When they looked at me, they saw a young woman with bright eyes that were the strangest shade of blue-green. My light blonde hair cascades down my back in rolling waves. My presence causes men to take notice. I lure them in unintentionally. Growing up, I never thought myself to be beautiful. When I hit puberty, a transformation occurred in many different ways.

I proffered the boys a gentle smile before turning around and walking towards my destination. I took a quick glance at my wrist to check the time. Unfortunately, I was a bit too early. Class won't be starting for thirty minutes.

Not wanting to look too eager for my first day, I strolled towards a picnic table and sat down instead of heading to class before the professor even got to campus. I splayed my fingers on the table, feeling the grainy wood on my fingertips.

The picnic table was nestled between two trees. I looked up at the giant oak tree towering over me, trying to drown out the voices of giddy college students as they giggled and walked by. My phone buzzed in my pocket, slightly startling me. I fished my phone out of my pocket and sighed as I looked at the caller id. I hit ignore and sat my phone down on the table.

I felt a pair of eyes practically boring a hole in my back. I slowly turned around, in an attempt to put a face with the eyes. I scrunched up my face in confusion when I saw no one there. Shaking my head, I gazed back up at the giant oak tree. I always felt one with nature. I stood up and walked towards the tree, leaning against the trunk of the tree and smiling, feeling at peace.