Chapter 13: Take A Second To Set Things Straight

Jack's POV:

I called Rian and Zack and asked if they knew where he was. They didn't know. Alex didn't reply to a million texts. I decided to go out and look for his ass. It was cold and late and he probably was somewhere alone. I just had to find him and make shit right.

Where would Alex go? His car was still parked outside of the building so he wasn't too far. I walked around the little wooded area near the parking lot but he wasn't in there either. I went around the brick building calling his name.

The river back there was freezing up and I knew Alex loved pretty shit like that so I went back there in search of him. It'd gotten really fucking cold really fast. I didn't even understand how the weather worked. I was wearing the wet shirt from earlier and black skinny jeans, not necessarily the warmest outfit.

I was worried about what Alex was wearing. I remembered he'd grabbed his leather jacket before leaving, thank jebus. He'd be frozen, like me, if not.

"Alex?!" I called out as I neared the river.

His voice rang out closer to me than I thought he'd be, "Go away," causing me to fall back. I couldn't help but start laughing. I was so happy I found him.

"Please come back inside," I said after I saw his face. He was not amused by my laughter so I shut up, "I-It's freezing."

"I'm fine," he shivered, "I'm not even cold."

"Yeah right," I whispered rolling my eyes, "Can you please just come back inside so I can explain this?"

He frowned as his eyebrows pulled together, "I don't want to hear it Jack. Whatever it is, I'm sure it's bullshit. No matter how much time you spent making it up."

His words hit me hard, more so than if he'd have punched me in the gut. He stood up and started towards the apartment.

"Are you coming back in?" I asked quietly, standing up after him.

"Yeah and you're sleeping on the couch."

"Can I please just expl-"

"Stop Jack. I really don't want to hear it," he stated bluntly.

"Okay..." I muttered following him like a sad puppy. I would tell him the truth if it was the last thing I did. Maybe now just wasn't the proper time.

We walked silently into the apartment. I grabbed a pillow and blanket from my room, stopping quickly too look at the bed Alex and I had shared the past few weeks.

He made a cough noise to catch my attention.

"Sorry," I muttered hanging my head low and exiting the room. I put my things on the couch and cuddled up as best I could. I closed my eyes but I couldn't sleep. I thought I heard Alex singing quietly in the other room.

He was singing one of our songs. Stay Awake.

Alex POV:

I let the tears silently fall again once Jack left the bedroom. I made him sleep on the couch because I really didn't want to sleep on the couch Jack and Lisa made out on.

The bed was empty without Jack. He usually draped an arm over me and cuddled close. I buried my face in the pillow and let out a small sigh. Figure it out boy, you're tripping, I thought to myself. And did the only thing left that made sense.

"Caught in a cold sweat stuck splitting hairs," I sang softly into the darkness, "I'm drinking too much,

I'm on my way to striking out,

Go to sleep with the pressure of everyone,

Watching, waiting, they're yours for the taking,

But I still have my doubts,

Before you ask which way to go,

Remember where you've been,

Stay awake, get a grip and get out,

You're safe from the weight of the world,

Just take a second to set things straight,

I'll be fine even though I'm not always right,

I can count on the sun to shine,

Dedication takes a lifetime,

But dreams only last for a night,

Figure it out boy, you're tripping,

So pull yourself together,

Or you'll wash up like the rest,

This ship is sinking, I'm thinking I'm done for,

I watch as the sails disappear underwater,

'Cause I'm no captain yet,

I said, 'Before you ask which way to go,

Remember where you've been,'

Stay awake, get a grip and get out,

You're safe from the weight of the world,

Just take a second to set things straight,

I'll be fine, even though I'm not always right,

I can count on the sun to shine,

Dedication takes a lifetime,

But dreams only last for a night,

Believe you me, I'll give them everything,

I'd tell them anything to show them everything,

Believe you me, I'll give them everything,

I'd tell them anything to show them everything,

'Cause you ain't the only ones who wanna live it up,

You ain't the only ones,

You ain't the only ones who wanna live it up,

You ain't the only ones,

You ain't the only ones who wanna live it up,

You ain't the only ones,

You ain't the only ones who wanna live it up,

You ain't the only ones,

Stay awake, get a grip and get out,

You're safe from the weight of the world,

Just take a second to set things straight,

I'll be fine, even though I'm not always right,

I can count on the sun to shine,

Dedication takes a lifetime,

But dreams only last for a night..."

By the end of the song my eyes were closed and I was mumbling the lyrics. I was close to sleep. The tears had stopped coming for the time being and I took that as an opportunity to let sleep take me over.

At least my heart doesn't hurt when I sleep.