I didn't know at the time that my mom was getting into an argument with the lady who called me a retard. I didn't find out until I heard my parents talking about it at dinner that night.

"Clara, you can't let your temper get out of control whenever someone brings up our daughter's condition" my dad said.

"She's fifteen Mike so she's aware of things now and I be damned if someone talks shit about my daughter" my mom said.

"She'll learn how to control it eventually Clara but you can't keep babying her. Maybe it was odd for people to see her acting like an eight year old when she's fifteen" my dad said.

"Don't you dare take their side. The whole world is going to be against our daughter and the least you can do is take her side" my mom said, before standing up from the dinner table and walking upstairs and slamming the door loudly.

"Is Lauren a retard?" Chris asked and our dad glared at him.

"Don't let that word ever come out your mouth again" our dad yelled at him.

"Yes sir" Chris mumbled.

"Apologize to your sister" our dad said.

"Sorry Lauren" Chris said.

"It's okay, I don't know what it means anyway" I said.

"Just know that you're not sweetheart" my dad said.

"Daddy, are we having dessert?" Taylor asked.

"I'm done eating" I said, standing up from the table and running to my room not bothering to hear what my dad would respond.

I ran into my room and closed the door behind me and made sure everything that I was giving Camila tomorrow was in order. I was writing a letter in the card I got Camila when my phone lit up telling me I had a text. I looked and saw it was from Camila.

Camila: I can't wait for our dinner date tomorrow and to show you just how much I love you

I smiled at my phone and was about to respond when my bedroom door opened revealing my mom.

"Lauren Michelle it's time to go to bed" my mom said.

"But I'm not sleepy" I complained.

"Now Lauren" I said.

I huffed and put my phone down as I crawled into bed. My mom came over and kissed me on the cheek.

"Tuck me in?" I asked.

My mom sighed. "Lauren, you're too big to be tucked in. Other teenagers aren't tucked in by their mothers" my mom said.

"But I'm different" I said.

"Lauren, go to sleep. I love you" my mom said and when my phone vibrated again. I mentally cured myself for not putting my phone under my pillow.

My mom picked up my phone and saw the text message that Camila sent me and she pursed her lips.

"Lauren, does Camila pressure you to do things you don't want to do?" my mom asked.

"No" I said.

"Sweetie its okay to tell me" my mom said.

"She doesn't but I like making her happy" I said.

"I see" my mom said, placing my phone down and then walking to my bedroom door. She turned off the lights and before closing the door she looked at me.

"Good night" my mom said.

"Night" I said, flipping over and falling asleep.

When I woke up, I couldn't contain my excitement grabbing all the stuff for Camila and waiting at the bus stop. I saw Normani walking to the bus stop carrying a few things in her hand. I remembered my mom buying something for Mani and dug it out of my bag.