But being and feeling alone was too much to face,

Though everyone said that she was so strong,

What they didn't know is that she could barely carry on,

But she knew that she would be okay,

So she didn't let it get in her way,

Sometimes it all gets a little too much,

But you gotta realize that soon the fog will clear up,

And you don't have to be afraid, because we're all the same,

And we know that sometimes it all gets a little too much,

Normani sung and she continued with the rest of the song, but I started to tune her out. I thought back to the time on Valentine's Day in ninth grade when Normani sung the song to me for the very first time.

*Lauren's Flashback*

It was the day before Valentine's Day and I finally convinced my mom to take me to the store to get Camila a gift. She was not happy that Camila was my Valentine, after catching Camila and I have sex. She told Camila to get out of her house and told me to never do that with Camila again, but I did because I liked the way it felt and it made Camila happy. So happy sometimes that she told me she loved me and I got this funny feeling in my stomach like butterflies were trapped in there. I was in the store with my mom as I tried to find the perfect gift for Camila.

"Why don't you get something for Normani instead?" my mom asked.

"I don't like Normani like that" I said.

"Oh, why not?" my mom asked.

"That's gross plus she likes someone" I said, looking at the bows that I was thinking about getting Camila.

"Well as her friend you should still try to get her something" my mom said.

"Is this pretty?" I asked, holding up a red bow to my mom.

"It's beautiful sweetheart" my mom said.

"Okay then I'm getting it for Camila along with that big bear over there and a rose and a lot of chocolate and I'm going to give her a picture that I drew of her" I said excitedly.

A couple of people walking past us, stopped to stare at me as if I did something wrong. So I just smiled and waved at them and then heard a woman tell her child that I was a retard and kept walking.

"Calm down Lauren" my mom said.

"Mommy, what's a retard?" I asked.

My mom's body became tenses and the smile that was once on her face disappeared. She looked into my eyes and all I could see was anger in hers.

"Who called you that?" my mom asked.

"Brad Simpson did one time and Normani punched him in the face and then that lady right there just said it" I said, pointing in the direction to where the lady stood.

"Lauren Michelle, you are not a retard. You're just a bit different from others but that's what makes you special" my mom said.

"Okay" I shrugged and turned around.

"Sweetheart, I'm going to go talk to that woman you pointed out. I'll be right back" my mom said, kissing me on top of my head.

"Okay mom. I'm going to be by the chocolate" I said, walking over to the aisle where the chocolate was and pushing my shopping cart over there.