Love Letters And Death Notes

Start from the beginning

As her foot lightly drops on the last stair, Laney peeks into the living room and lets out a breath of relief as she walks forward. She turns the corner into the kitchen and begins to walk towards the cabinet. Pulling out a glass for orange juice, Laney then feels a hand touch her shoulder. She screams terrified and jumps away as she drops the glass. The shattered glass falls all across the hardwood floor as Laney looks up at a confused and worried Willow.

"Laney, are you okay?"

Laney laughs breathless and awkward, "Yeah. Sorry I didn't mean to scream like that."

"Sorry I didn't know that would scare you."

Laney nods pushing a strand of hair behind her ear, "Nightmare... I-I had a nightmare. And couldn't sleep. So..."

Willow frowns and pats Laney's arm before stepping over the glass to get the broom, "Aw I'm sorry. Are you sure you're okay?"

Laney watches Willow sweep up the glass and thinks about if this was the perfect time to tell her or not.

"Y-yeah..."

Willow smiles and throws the glass away from the dustpan then puts the broom back.

Laney sighs watching her sister grab her bag then shakes her head, "Actually n-"

RING

Willow not hearing her runs over to the phone on the wall with a beaming smile. She says okay then hangs up and turns around to put her bag on her back.

"Gotta go. Oz is outside to pick me up? You want a ride?"

Laney smiles softly as she tries to keep the fake smile up, but she can feel her lips tremble as her eyes begin to water.

"N-no I'm okay. I j-just think I should talk to y-yo-"

Willow backs out the kitchen waving her arms, "We can talk after school okay? Don't wanna be late."

Laney shrugs with a nod, "Um okay y-yeah sure..."

Willow disappears out the kitchen making Laney sigh and mess with her trembling hands. A second later Willow's head pops back into the kitchen with a large grin.

"Oh! And just remember... it was just a dream. Don't fret over it."

"Right... just a dream."

Laney hears the door slam closed and Oz's van drive off. She takes in a deep shaky breath and runs her hands down her face.

"It's okay... you're okay... it'll be okay..."

...

~ A WEEK LATER ~

"So, what do you think?"

The two friends talk in the dark empty cemetery at night. Xander is dangling a heart shaped locket in the air. Buffy sitting on a gravestone.

She smiles and nods, "It's nice."

They are waiting near a fresh grave as Xander approaches Buffy, still dangling the locket.

"But do you think Cordelia will like it?"

"I don't know."

She pulls it toward herself with her hand to take a closer look.

"Does she know what one of these is?"

He yanks it out of her hand and puts it and his hands into his jacket pockets.

Xander chuckles, "Okay, big yuks. When are you guys gonna stop making fun of me for dating Cordelia?"

"I'm sorry. But never."