The Breakdown

TW: Foul language, Implied Sexual Assault, Mental Breakdown, Overthinking, and Self-Deprecation. 

'....Does it really matter? What would you even do if I said yes?', BASIL leans his head into the pillow.

'BASIL...I need you to be truthful here...Yes or no.', HERO stared at BASIL for some confirmation.

'I-....N..No..', BASIL replies shakily.

HERO opens his mouth before closing it. He sighs, '...Okay..'

'...Did they contact her? POLLY I mean...', BASIL fumbles with his fingers.

'POLLY? I'm guessing that's your mother's name? Uh, I'm pretty sure they have to since they have to bill her and such.', HERO rubs his neck awkwardly. 

'...She isn't my mother..She'll NEVER be my mother. She's my grandmother's caregiver, that's all.', BASIL glares at HERO.

'O..Oh okay! Well...uh maybe there's some hope!', HERO smiles gently.

 '..Hope? How...?', BASIL sits up, slightly wincing.

'Well, since she's a caregiver she must be kind, right? She can convince your parents not to be so harsh with you!', HERO looks proud of what he said.

. . . . . . .

'...Are you an idiot? My parents are fucking dead..', BASIL huffs and facepalms.

HERO's eyes widen and he quickly darts to look down. He seems to regret what he said.

'I...I'm so sorry...', HERO sits down on his chair, he folds his arms, rubbing them together nervously.

'..It's fine, I don't really care anymore, to be honest.', BASIL looks down with a slight frown.

Now that he thought about it. BASIL couldn't remember what his parents looked like or what they would even do together. All he remembered was that they were very kind and gentle towards him. He was free to do pretty much anything but he felt like his parents didn't see him as a human being. They would coddle him and watch him 24/7 like some lab rat. What did they even do, to begin with? Was he human? Or were his parents just weird and didn't know how to show affection properly? Whatever, it didn't matter. They were 6 feet under and even if he dug them out and asked them, they wouldn't answer his questions. 

'I'm...going to go check on my little brother. Luckily your room and his are on the same floor, eh-heh..I'll see you later, BASIL..!', HERO stands up and waves before leaving out the door.

BASIL lays back, staring at the bland ceiling. He felt like he was at home with how the ceiling looked and the silence that filled the air.  He didn't like how silent it was, it left him feeling so unsafe. God, he hoped POLLY wasn't coming to his room right now. He didn't feel like getting hit right now, especially with how shitty he was feeling. 

A woman in regular-looking attire comes into the room and sits next to BASIL. She looks to be about HERO's age, maybe younger. BASIL looks at her with confusion. Can he not have a moment to himself for a few fucking minutes??