Twenty Five

Next day, after being released from the hospital wing, both the trios were by the great lake. Golden trio were sitting in front of the lake and the lunar trio was in the water, playing.

Cordelia splashed water at Julius who laughed, "you wanker!"

She splashed water on him again and laughed. She looked over at the golden trio.

They waved at her and she grinned, waving back. Lorenzo pushed Julius under the water and Cordelia watched them with a fond smile as they wrestled around.

Taking in a deep breath, she held it in and ducked under water, submerging herself and opened her eyes. The water looked clearer and she could see the silhouette of the Giant Squid.

Everything was ringing around her and she pushed herself above the water, gasping for breath. Her hands flew up to push back her hairs and she noticed Hagrid approaching the golden trio so she called over her shoulder, "guys! Hagrid's here, let's go."

They all swam towards the shore together before running up to the others just as Hagrid reached them.

"Know I shouldn' feel happy, after wha' happened las' night," he said. "I mean, Black escapin' again, an, everythin'—but guess what?"

"What?" they said, pretending to look curious.

"Beaky! He escaped! He's free! Bin celebratin' all night!"

"That's wonderful!" said Hermione, giving Ron a reproving look because he looked as though he was close to laughing.

"Yeah... can't've tied him up properly," said Hagrid, gazing happily out over the grounds. "I was worried this mornin', mind... thought he mighta met Professor Lupin on the grounds, but Lupin says he never ate anythin' las' night...."

"What?" said Harry quickly and Cordelia felt her eyes widen and her heartbeat fastening.

"Blimey, haven' yeh heard?" said Hagrid, his smile fading a little. He lowered his voice, even though there was nobody in sight. "Er—Snape told all the Slytherins this mornin'.... Thought everyone'd know by now...Professor Lupin's a werewolf, see. An' he was loose on the grounds las' night.... He's packin' now, o' course."

"He's packing?" said Harry, alarmed. "Why?"

"Leavin', isn' he?" said Hagrid, looking surprised that Harry had to ask. "Resigned firs' thing this mornin'. Says he can't risk it happenin again."

Cordelia took off running, waiting for none of them and still dripping wet.

She was wearing a trunk and a white t-shirt which clung to her body and almost completely transparent but she didn't care. She ran as fast as she can towards his office and she knew by the sound of footsteps that Harry was catching up to her.

She slowed down a bit and Harry fell into a sprint beside her as they reached the office.

The door was already wide open and he had already packed most of his things. The Grindylow's empty tank stood next to his battered old suitcase, which was open and nearly full. He was bending over something on his desk and looked up only when Harry knocked on the door.

"I saw you coming," Remus said, smiling. He pointed to the parchment he had been poring over. It was the Marauder's Map.

"We just saw Hagrid," said Harry. "And he said you'd resigned. It's not true, is it?"

"I'm afraid it is," said Lupin. He started opening his desk drawers and taking out the contents.

"Why?" said Harry. "The Ministry of Magic don't think you were helping Sirius, do they?"