Nineteen

Cordelia stood with a straight face beside Harry who stood dumbstruck as insults started appearing on the marauder's map. Snape froze and Cordelia knew at once that he knew about the map, or rather its founders.

'Moony presents his compliments to Professor Snape, and begs him to keep his abnormally large nose out of other people's business.'

'Mr. Prongs agrees with Mr. Mooney and would like to add that Professor Snape is an ugly git.'

'Mr. Padfoot would like to register his astonishment that an idiot like that ever became a professor.'

Harry closed his eyes in horror. Cordelia smirked, amused.

'Mr. Wormtail bids Professor Snape good day, and advises him to wash his hair, the slimeball.'

Harry and Cordelia both waited for the explosion from Snape.

"So..." said Snape softly. "We'll see about this..."

He strode across to his fire, seized a fistful of glittering powder from a jar on the fireplace, and threw it into the flames.

"Lupin!" Snape called into the fire. "I want a word!"

Cordelia groaned inwardly, knowing a bigger explosion was coming their way and worse for her, a confrontation she wanted to have later.

Harry stared at the fire. A large shape had appeared in it, revolving very fast. Seconds later, Remus was clambering out of the fireplace, brushing ash off his shabby robes.

"You called, Severus?" Remus asked mildly.

"I certainly did," said Snape, his face contorted with fury as he strode back to his desk. "I have just asked Potter to empty his pockets. He was carrying this."

Snape pointed at the parchment, on which the words of Messrs. Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs were still shining. An odd, closed expression appeared on Remus' face.

Cordelia observed closely, she was right. But still, at that moment, she was feeling nothing but guilt, feeling the sadness radiating in their bond caused by the innumerable memories which must be swirling in her father's head.

"Well?" said Snape.

Remus continued to stare at the map. Harry had the impression that Lupin was doing some very quick thinking but Cordelia knew better.

"Well?" said Snape again. "This parchment is plainly full of Dark Magic. This is supposed to be your area of expertise, Lupin. Where do you imagine Potter got such a thing?"

Remus looked up and, by the merest half-glance in Harry's direction, warned him not to interrupt.

"Full of Dark Magic?" he repeated mildly. "Do you really think so, Severus? It looks to me as though it is merely a piece of parchment that insults anybody who reads it. Childish, but surely not dangerous? I imagine Harry got it from a joke shop—"

"Indeed?" said Snape. His jaw had gone rigid with anger. "You think a joke shop could supply him with such a thing? You don't think it more likely that he got it directly from the manufacturers?"

Harry didn't understand what Snape was talking about. 

Cordelia sighed  softly, both the adults were far into their memories to remember the acquaintance they formed over the summer and she knew; she didn't matter anymore for both of them, they were reliving their days. They both were utterly bitter and a petty alliance formed for the sake of Cordelia didn't matter anymore.

"You mean, by Mr. Wormtail or one of these people?" he said. "Harry, do you know any of these men?"

"No," said Harry quickly.