Twenty Six

Another year passed by like wind and Cordelia was happy that even after everything that had happened that year, she had passed all her subjects with top marks. The Gryffindors have won third year in a row, with Slytherins right behind them.

Cordelia however, was more than happy as she celebrated with her friends and cousin. The end of term feast was cheerful as always after some gloomy weeks caused by Remus' departure. Till now, Cordelia hadn't even looked at Snape even though he tried to apologize once or twice. 

So when the train pulled out of the station next morning, she was more than relieved. This time, instead of sitting separately, the lunar marauders and the golden trio sat together.

"I went to see Professor McGonagall this morning, just before breakfast. I've decided to drop Muggle Studies." Hermione said.

"But you passed your exam with three hundred and twenty percent!" said Ron.

"I know," sighed Hermione, "but I can't stand another year like this one. That Time-Turner, it was driving me mad. I've handed it in. Without Muggle Studies and Divination, I'll be able to have a normal schedule again."

"Yeah, even I have dropped Divination." Cordelia said.

"I still can't believe you didn't tell us about it," said Ron grumpily. "We're supposed to be your friends."

"We promised we wouldn't tell anyone," said Hermione severely. She looked around at Harry, who was watching Hogwarts disappear from view behind a mountain. 

"Oh, cheer up, Harry!" said Hermione sadly.

"I'm okay," said Harry quickly. "Just thinking about the holidays."

Cordelia smiled slightly and leaned forward to pat his knee, "it's alright..."

"Yeah, I've been thinking about them too," said Ron. "Harry, you've got to come and stay with us. I'll fix it up with Mum and Dad, then I'll call you. I know how to use a fellytone now—"

"A telephone, Ron," said Hermione. "Honestly, you should take Muggle Studies next year...."

Ron ignored her.

"It's the Quidditch World Cup this summer! How about it, Harry? Come and stay, and we'll go and see it! Dad can usually get tickets from work." Harry noticeably cheered up at the proposition.

They all jumped into a fierce game of Exploding snap till the tea cart arrived. They all ate and talked until—

"Harry," said Hermione suddenly, peering over his shoulder. "What's that thing outside your window?"

Harry turned to look outside. Something very small and gray was bobbing in and out of sight beyond the glass. He stood up for a better look and saw that it was a tiny owl, carrying a letter that was much too big for it. The owl was so small, in fact, that it kept tumbling over in the air, buffeted this way and that in the train's slipstream. Harry quickly pulled down the window, stretched out his arm, and caught it. It felt like a very fluffy Snitch. He brought it carefully inside.

The owl dropped its letter onto Harry's seat and began zooming around their compartment, apparently very pleased with itself for accomplishing its task. Hedwig clicked her beak with a sort of dignified disapproval. Crookshanks sat up in his seat, following the owl with his great yellow eyes. Ron, noticing this, snatched the owl safely out of harm's way.

Harry picked up the letter. It was addressed to him. He ripped open the letter, and shouted, "It's from Sirius!"

"What?" said Ron and Hermione excitedly. "Read it aloud!"

Cordelia shared looks with Lorenzo and Julius. Sirius wrote to Harry but not her? Cordelia shrugged it off and tried not to let that thought upset her and concentrated on Harry.