UPDATED: Hanko Mizuchi

Hanko Mizuchi

Kanji: 蛟竜 判Romaji: Hanko Mizuchi

Kanji: 蛟竜 判
Romaji: Hanko Mizuchi

Characteristics

Race: Human
Gender: Female
Age: 35
Height: 144.78cm (4'9")
Weight: 58kg
Hair colour: Black with orange-brown tips
Eye colour: Neon pink

Affiliations

Affiliation: Demon Slayer Corps
Minor Pantheon
Occupation: Demon slayer
Combat Style: Iron Breathing
Partner(s): Yoriichi Tsugikuni
                     Michikatsu Tsugikuni

Personal Status

Status: Deceased
Relative(s): Hayato Mizuchi (descendant)
                      Ayumi Mizuchi (descendant)
                      Hiroshi Mizuchi (descendant)
                      Yuna Mizuchi (descendant)
                      Unnamed husband
                      Unnamed daughter
                      Unnamed son
Unnamed sister

"There is no peace without justice."
Hanko Mizuchi to Revenge in Chapter 40: Amends.

Hanko Mizuchi was a demon slayer for the Demon Slayer Corps, a Hashira of the Sengoku Era alongside Yoriichi Tsugikuni and Michikatsu Tsugikuni.

Appearance
Hanko Mizuchi was a short but heavy-built woman. She had a tanned complexion similar to Yuna Mizuchi and bright pink, narrow eyes. Under her left eye, there was a beauty mark. Her hair was often covered by a cap, stated to be worn purely for the convenience of battle. However, underneath was said to have black hair with orange-brown tips. Similar to her descendant, she bore a condescending grin, regardless of intention. It is stated by Kokushibo that Yuna looked practically identical to her.

She wore a slightly pink version of the standard Corps uniform, with standard white kyahan guards. She wore ribbed grey tabi socks and a dark pink pair of zori sandals.

Her haori was a dark red. Having orange, yellow and pink prints of plum trees along the bottom of it.

Personality
Not much is said about her personality, though she was seen to act similarly to Yuna. She was playful and careless, even fearless when faced with Kokushibo.

She was also determined, vengeful and devoted. In the afterlife, spending four centuries to brew her revenge. It could he interpreted that she was also persuasive. She was able to persuade a minor God to bend the rules for her. So it can be concluded she was hard-headed. Further shown with her adamance to be trained and fight Yoriichi.

History
Before she became a part of the Corps, she had a husband. After having his children, she became a slayer and left her children with her sister.

Her husband was killed prior to this by Michikatsu, so the pair knew each other before she joined the Corps. She met him when he visited his old home and found her living there. The pair grew acquainted though she had never met Yoriichi by that point. She only met him after becoming a Tsuguko - to the future Stone Pillar of the Sengoku Era.

Abilities
Master swordsman: Being a Tsuguko, then a Hashira, Hanko mastered the sword. Unable to learn Stone Breathing but making her own breathing technique.

Cellular control: Being able to reincarnate and teach Yuna, she was able to achieve something similar in the past.

Demonic abilities: The limits are unknown for Hanko, though it was seen she was able to grow an eye on her palm as Yuna after her.

Biologically gifted: As a reincarnation, was able to teach Yuna and Isamu deeper biological rules, granting Yuna the ability to control other's cells with her fighting style.

Indomitable will: She strived for generations to get what she wanted, unable to move on to the next life until she got as she was promised.

Fearlessness: When Upper Moon One snuck up on her, she failed to have a reaction past amusement. When presented with deities, she had the courage to argue, jeer, negotiate and associate with them.

Fighting Style
Stone Breathing: To an arbitrary extent, was able to learn some moves of Stone Breathing, though unable to master the breathing style.

Iron Breathing: Creating her own breathing style, Hanko was able to become the Iron Hashira, and mastered her own techniques. Though only one was mentioned in the whole story.

• nth form: Iron Fist
The attacker uses the blunt edge of their sword to hit their opponent to have a collision similar to being hit with an iron cuff.

Trivia
"Hanko" is a Japanese seal for common names. It is also the first part of the Japanese word for "rebellious".

• Hanko wore a flower kimono which often misled others on her personality and breathing style - she claimed to have done it on purpose.
• Her mouth sometimes laid covered due to a cloak she wore for missions in the cold: she got cold easily.
• Her sword also never changed colour until she died, to which it became the same colour as the brown in her hair.
• The carvings on her sword read the kanji for "revenge" (報復) and "recover" (回復)
• Her favourite food was Michikatsu's sesame fried rice.
• She had a bad relationship with the wind pillar of the time.
• Her estate was a hut she built herself before Yoriichi helped her improve it.
• Hanko was actually very religious, which was also a reason for covering her hair.
• Not only was she the third ever person to form their own breathing style - seconded to Yoriichi and Michikatsu - she was also the first ever female Hashira - a Flower Breather joining the team soon after.