Chapter 9: Limits

Night, it was dark and the clouds which hung over threatened rainfall. You weren't even sure where you were at the moment, there was nothing for the expanse to see. Just grass and mountains. No civilization, no trees, no bodies of water. Just you, the clouds above the rustling grass. How did you find yourself in such a peaceful place? Not a demon in sight, not a human either. No animals. Birds were asleep, even owls stood clear. You were somewhere dangerous. Or maybe you were the danger. The world was in black and white, the lack of light allowing yourself to see absolutely nothing in colour. You couldn't look far as it was, there was a lack of guidance. If you were to die, you wouldn't be found, which was... it was something you didn't think about.

There was movement behind you. When you turned to look, it was a demon. Pink hair, tattoos which reminded you of the failure that led you to where you were. A part of you stared at the fantastic eyes. Blue and yellow, the number 3 etched into his pupil. Third Kizuki.

"You're a girl?" The man questioned and his form, from combat, changed. You turned to look at him, he stared back into your bright pink eyes with a flash of something. It was nostalgia.

"Do my eyes remind you of someone?" You implored. Your eyes were narrow, naturally, so you doubted that he would see whoever he saw perfectly. But your eyes shone so bright against the black of the night. The demon sat down.

"I'm Akaza." He introduced.

"Are you not going to try and kill me, to eat me?" You asked and crossed your arms.

"I don't kill or eat women." He explained.

"Yuna. You're the Third Kizuki. So tell me what you're doing here, if not to kill me." You nodded. He smiled, it reminded you of your own.

"I was sent to attack you, naturally. We've been looking for you relentlessly. He sent lower class demons who all died, he sent me for you long ago, and I couldn't find you until now. Not that I could kill you though. I feel he knew, I feel he sent me to offer demonhood." Akaza pondered and sat in the grass with you. You sat with him carelessly.

"I'm not interested in demonhood. But tell me, do you have an ex-demon slayer in the ranks?" You looked at him. His face fell slightly from the haughty grin, not in a bad way, he looked curious.

"We do! First Kizuki. Kokushibo." He explained, "why?" He wondered.

"I'm looking for him." You shrugged. The man stared at you in surprise.

"Do you truly think you could challenge him?" Akaza chortled at the thought and watched you also huff.

"I probably could. Look at me... you stare into my eyes and the moment I reach into my haori, watch what happens..." you whispered, he watched in anticipation as you stared deep into each other's eyes. You brought your hand up slowly and reached into your haori. Akaza didn't react. You smiled slowly and leaned forward, "you've a wonderful complexion... I should say..." you complimented and pulled out a small wisteria.

"Th-" whether Akaza was going to thank you or tell you that wisteria wasn't going to work on you didn't matter. It was cut off as he hitched his breath and tensed suddenly. He couldn't move and then, he stepped back. You put the wisteria back and straightened your posture until you stood straight once more and thereafter, you smiled - though it wasn't with your teeth as you often did, he calmed down and approached you, "what was that?" He asked more intensely, clearly realising something, "we're those master's cells?" He confirmed and you nodded, grinning once more, "what a cruel smile." He pondered.

"Well, do you think I'm worthy of meeting the First Kizuki?" You digressed, he stared at you confused and conflicted.

"I doubt you can kill him, and I don't want to be the reason you die. It would go against everything I stand for." He tried to reject you, you would have put your hand on him had the thought of touching a demon in a friendly manner not made your skin crawl.