Chapter 33: Labyrinth: Kaigaku

The twang of a biwa struck, Zenitsu would recognise the sound anywhere - after he played one for Uzui and his hearing wouldn't fool him. But there was no direction to the noise, he just heard it as if it came from him. Better yet, below him. He had heard the explosion, he had heard some mumbles prior to and then screaming of two people. Two people screaming "Kagaya". But then, it was silent, Zenitsu knew he had to run to find where the explosion was from - though it rang his ears and he could barely think with the tinnitus. But as he ran, he couldn't find a way out. Only the looping of vegetation and screaming and roaring.

He was frustrated with himself for that reason. Kaigaku had turned into a demon and killed Kuwajima all of those months ago. Zenitsu trained more than ever and even then, after passing all of the Hashira training, he still couldn't find himself out of a damn forest? It was hard to hear a way out with the amount of overlapping screaming and yelling, the cursing and calling out of moves. He could hear wind being cut, people clanging swords.

He could hear the battle, but couldn't be there. How would he honour Kuwajima if he couldn't even find his way to a battle? He clenched his fist and shook, standing still and letting the battle play out. He was a failure. Even before his final battle.

And he was gutted because of it. He turned around at the sound of someone landing beside him. He never expected to see the Moon Hashira there looking at him. The man looked around before looking up, "is it me or is it really hard finding where the actual battle is?" Tenmongaku questioned and scratched his head. So it wasn't only Zenitsu.

"I should know, since I have good hearing, but I can't think with all of the noise." Zenitsu responded and looked around the foliage of the infinite forest.

"I hop up and see the battle, but whenever I run to it, I end up somewhere else completely." The Hashira crossed his arms and reached for the younger boy, "and if you can't think, cover your ears." He cupped Zenitsu's ears and looked around, "they're bleeding slightly anyway." He shook off some of the blood and glanced behind himself cautiously.

With the muffled noise, Zenitsu could compose himself. He could regain something he was missing from the panic. But there wasn't much to regain other than composure and of course, some control over what was being heard. Tenmongaku had his cleaver of a sword out. A form of an older sword, Zenitsu assumed. He could hear Tenmongaku's worried pulse, as he searched the vegetation with concern.

"God I hope Mizuchi's okay." His brow furrowed and Zenitsu felt a strong sense of kinship with Tenmongaku at that moment. That man cared deeply for you.

"She'll be fine. She knows what she's doing." Zenitsu hummed out and sighed, pushing Isamu's hands away and hearing the fighting continue. "It's that way." He pointed in a direction and after Tenmongaku shot up, he shook his head. The man descended and also negated,

"Apparently that way." He pointed in another direction. "So either the battle is moving or we're spinning." He looked down. It wasn't spinning and the plant life looked the same.

Another string from a biwa rang and in that moment, Zenitsu was scooped up by Tenmongaku and jumped up. Zenitsu yelped and looked down - the floor opened up and Tenmongaku cursed.

"Damn! I didn't think she was telling the truth!" He cursed as he tried to steer away from the door.

"What the Hell is that!" Zenitsu wailed and pointed at the portal which closed and vanished. Tenmongaku sighed in relief and then yelled a curse as a door opened in front of the pair and they both tumbled in.

There they stood, in a room with bamboo floors and wooden walls. Traditional. The pair regained their composure and stood up, hearing everything around them. Rooms beyond rooms. It reminded Zenitsu of the mansion he first got to know Tanjiro and Inosuke in. It was hard to believe he had only done that under a year ago. He looked around and shuddered at the terrible noise coming from the other side of the door.