Chapter 22: Breathing Style II

But you went, you travelled there, and your crow led you to the typhoon mansion. Gyomei was already sat there and Isamu grinned at Sanemi, who didn't even smile. Sanemi looked at you and you hopped up lightly to his roof.

"Don't sit on my roof." Sanemi ordered, "I heard what you did to Tomioka's." You grinned and slid down, landing on a stalk of cut bamboo. It was cut nicely, very clean. But you didn't realise you had such good balance in you. Even still, you stood there before hopping off and joining Gyomei where he sat, which was on the porch in front of the door.

A part of you knew that you weren't going to be safe anywhere in this fight. But it didn't really matter to you, it wasn't as if you had an estate, the estate you sat in wasn't your own to upkeep.

They took a stance and before Isamu even realised the battle had begun, Sanemi had lunged at him. But Isamu had better reflexes than that. In an instant, he blocked and pushed away - it would have been better if he didn't look as surprised as he did, but he looked shocked.

"You and the younger one were the only ones to come at me firs-" he ducked under a slash and was pushed forward by Sanemi jumping onto him. Sanemi got the first hit. "Okay, you're stronger than expected." He huffed and swung at Sanemi, who was approaching him again.

"Why do you underestimate them so hard!? If you act like that about your enemies then you aren't cut out to be a Hashira. If you want it so bad, battle like you mean it!" You ordered and looked at Isamu stare at you, "what are you doing looking at me? A sword is about to be sent through your thigh." You warned and watched him block there, the redirection of the sword under his legs sent Sanemi flying.

Isamu got a hit at the rolling figure and watched as he recovered and took a stance, the both pounced for each other and they both blocked before swinging. They had the same minds. Both kicked, hitting their feet and gaining nothing from the collision, but Sanemi managed to kick his face with his other foot, and though it didn't do much, it did give him time to push away and try again.

Unlike Giyuu, Sanemi was more offensive. He was striking at every promising opening and it wasn't as if Isamu even had the time to attack to show off Sanemi's great defence.

The sword slid across each other and Sanemi ducked under a leg coming his way, ready to strike at the punishable move, he missed completely. Isamu had changed course and his sandal made contact comfortably with Sanemi's face. He stayed with it there and the sword Isamu stuck to the ground was pulled out, you watched as Isamu jumped over a slash and didn't have the time to slip a move in, as he had to push away.

Why weren't they using moves? Isamu had a completely standard katana, which was difficult for you because if his nichirin blade didn't change colour then what was the point in even doing this task? Why go through the effort if he wasn't considered skilled or worthy enough - since after all, you weren't a Hashira because your sword didn't change colour and also because you didn't know what to do with the title. It felt almost belittling. Like the world was trying to mould you into that idolised figure of superiority but frankly, you didn't deserve it. It was like how you teased your demons with things they couldn't attain.

But when you went back into focus, it was huge - the pair of them somehow gradually grew more beaten and bruised by the moment. Sanemi pushed forward nonchalantly and swung for the face, Isamu blocked and went for the neck.

Isamu's style of fighting was imagining them as a demon - as it seemed. You focused on how easy it was to read Isamu's moves, it was clear to you and Sanemi, who took the opening he got from them. The men fought, Sanemi didn't use many sneaky moves the same way Giyuu did, until Isamu jabbed into his shoulder and Sanemi took the chance to kick in his elbow. The crack could be heard and Gyomei began praying as you watched intently. Isamu was losing.