Chapter 40: Amends

You sat up and looked around in the afterlife. It was white. You looked at your hands, young and childish.

Why were they so young looking? You stood up and looked at what you wore, a small kimono with only socks and sandals. There was a tree, unkempt but charming to look at. It had snowed so the tree was dead, and outside of the home walls, was a bridge and a small river.

The village looked familiar. You stood up, it was only you. There was no one else there. But then there was. They dropped from the sky, white hair, blue eyes. You recognised her from a while ago. She was from your mission with Shie. The girl who lost her fiancé. Her hair was black down there, but in the afterlife, she had all white hair. You could have sworn you would have gone to Hell.

The snow was cold against your young skin, and you looked at the woman, she looked down at you, "hello, sister." She greeted.

"Oh... hello... you're the girl..." you reached up for her and she scowled, turning away.

"And you still have mortal memories?" She queried rather seriously as you stood up and felt the snow crunch under your sandals. "Please. We didn't send you down to never return." She walked across the bridge. You followed behind as best as you could for your small legs to take you. You truly were short as a child. When was the growth spurt? You weren't sure.

"As if I would distaste any two of my lives," you giggled and looked up at the white hair, "ah, Peace, you surely don't act like it." You teased and she rolled her eyes as she continued to walk. "If you wanted me to stay the same, perhaps you should have given me the memories I'm just about getting back," you suggested with growing maturity within the small body. You thought of your life, and lives. You thought and realised, you only had one. As Yuna Mizuchi. There was no reincarnation for you. But you were still alive for far longer than any soul that would dare join you.

"But then would you do the job properly or would we have to encourage you?" She challenged as you skipped along the path with her next to you.

"Well I did the job properly! Where is Hanko?" You looked around.

"You don't need to see her." She deadpanned her already monotone voice. You hummed teasingly,

"Did she come to you? No. I'd rather see her than you, anyway." You sighed and remembered the distaste you had for her.

She was your sister, though the complete opposite to you, to the point she even looked the opposite to you. She was Peace. You were Revenge. Those imaginings of you being titled an angel weren't so far off, you had to argue. You were. At least, spiritually.

Hanko approached you for decades and centuries. You had duties as the embodiment of revenge, so postponed her request. But eventually, you gave her your time. And you remembered the interaction,

"I've done what you told me, the perfect child, she'll be born. Blood and physique, mentality and my memories... I even persuaded your brother, Rebirth, to send me down and condition her to her peak. All I need is you." She pointed at you. She was so full of rage. And you were staring at her amused. Your sister was beside you, watching her also.

"And you'd rather me to my sister?" You turned to face her. She stepped back, taking in the sovereign you held alongside your sister.

"There is no peace without justice." She retorted and you grinned at the vengeance you could feel seeping off of her.

"Then, I can't see why I couldn't. After all, your eyes are so pretty," you complimented with a sneering smile. Your sister had lost interest in the conversation and moved along to souls who would appreciate her. You reached for her eye and she gripped the murky black wrist of your past figure. Where you were all black and Peace remained the white her hair was as of the moment.