Chapter 21: Breathing Style I

Then, Urokodaki sighed and said: "Change out of that uniform. I'm not fighting with such a foul scent." He ordered and you hopped away, returning around 20 minutes later in the nice kimono Yushiro put you in. It smelled of flowers and a bit of blood. He liked that smell better, and made it clear with how he relaxed and looked around until his masked eyes landed on Isamu. "Is he the one we battle? His smell reminds me of you, Yuna." Urokodaki mentioned and looked up to you on the roof.

"He trained under my trainer - he ran away before the training could finish." You explained and Urokodaki hummed, pulling out a sword and bracing in a stance. Isamu bowed and did the same, taking a stance with a sword of his own.

To say that they were relatively even was a lie. Urokodaki attacked and was blocked no matter what he tried. It was almost weird. But it was good that you saw it, you could see how Isamu fought. He fought like a ruffian. There was no strategy in most of his swings, he relied on his brute force to get him through the trying times. Had he stuck with his father he would have known how bad that sort of fighting could be, especially in populated situations.

He didn't seem to be expecting Urokodaki to do anything past simple moves, but then the man sighed and rested his posture. Isamu tried to take the chance to swing but was disarmed alarmingly quickly.

"That was a good warmup," Urokodaki took a stance as Isamu grabbed his sword. Urokodaki was incredibly skilled, you knew as much training under him and watching how he moved. His sword was actually heavier than most katanas, you could tell by the way he held his sword alone that he substituted his lack of force with weight. Instead of swinging harder, he made his sword drag more and build more speed up. He was astoundingly strong, not that many people knew.

He caught Isamu in a move. The third form. You think, what you found the most impressive, is that Urokodaki didn't make any noise at all. He was fast and quiet - stealthy. That was what probably had Isamu so off guard and in the air. He was sent up by the blade and you watched him gain air time. Then you saw it. A glisten and you knew what was happening. Without even realising it, you had sent one of Giyuu's roof tiles to Urokodaki's face, it hit and the man was pushed back by the force of the tile breaking. Everyone looked at you as then, a sword hit the floor directly where Urokodaki stood prior to.

Everyone looked at that, and watched Isamu land, grab the sword and prepare for another move. But Urokodaki bowed and shook his head. He had forfeited. You applauded and hopped down, brushing off Urokodaki's mask of the sediments of clay that remained on his tengu mask. He thanked you for saving him.

"Wonderful job Isamu." You congratulated him.

"Why'd he forfeit, he has more in him." Isamu pointed at Urokodaki.

"I really wouldn't have." He confessed and looked at you, "she saved me." He bowed to you again.

"You've still got things to do in this life, old man." You huffed and picked up the broken tile, "I hope that didn't hurt too much, I tried holding back." You apologised.

"It's fine, it did save me after all. How did you know the sword was coming?" Urokodaki asked to try and change the subject slightly.

"I do that." You smiled and turned to Giyuu, who already had his sword drawn out and ready to fight Isamu.

You hopped up with Urokodaki, looking down as both bowed and took a stance.

Giyuu waited for Isamu to swing first, feigning relaxation after a moment to pull up his sword and block the attack. But the force Isamu gave was enough to send the pair sliding back after the collision. You whistled coolly as they went to your left, and you watched as Giyuu kicked Isamu off.