33. A Strange Bond

Start from the beginning

Besides, she was just twenty-four. The age gap made her closer to most of her students in a very short time. The teens would use this as a chance to question her about things from her personal life, but Ruby knew how to deal with them.

The most mature among them, she thought, was the class monitor Amaya. She could get everyone to do whatever she wanted by giving clear and straightforward commands. A few of the stuck-up girls were scared of her and would complain often but she didn't care.

She reminded Ruby a lot about her teenage self.

***

As the sun began setting, the kids ran over to the village hall. A party was underway with music blaring through the speakers. The teachers got themselves non-alcoholic cocktails from the bar and stayed there while waiting for the party to die down soon.

Mr.Hayes had known Mr.Greez ever since he joined the school at twenty-four, and they got along very well.

"Getting to the hotel will take at least two hours now" Mr.Greez sighed.

"What about the rooms?"

"Three in one room for the kids, and each for us"

"Ah..." Hayes smiled, glancing at Ruby.

"When you were a student here, Ruby, you had to leave right before you could attend the excursion, right?" Mrs.Reina turned to her.

"Yeah, I do regret it now Mrs.Reina" She chuckled, "Just look at how much fun they are having"

They watched the party which was proceeding in full boom. "It's great to be young huh?" Mrs.Kore sighed longingly making the others laugh.

The sky turned dark blue by now and a few girls ran over to persuade their teachers to dance with them. "You have to come Miss Stranstroff... Please, we'll do better in our tests if you agree to this"

"How is that even related?" She rolled her eyes.

"Go on" Hayes smiled, seeing how much the girls were insisting.

"No way" She dismissed them, turning away to face the bartender.

"Would you like to come, Mr.Hayes?" The girls turned to him.

"Ah no, I'd rather stay here"

"Is it because Miss Stranstroff is staying here?" One of them giggled, earning a glare from Ruby.

Hayes smiled, "I just don't want to exhaust myself. There are a lot of things we need to do at the hotel. You can go ahead without me" The girls eventually turned to the remaining four, and after long bouts of deals and agreements, Mrs.Carmen agreed to it along with Mrs.Kore.

"They do know to run their mouths" Ruby muttered, "Do you think they'll spread rumors?"

"What rumors?" Hayes asked innocently.

"You know..."

"Eh?"

"That we're seeing each other" Her fingers tightened around her cocktail but she didn't meet his eyes.

"It's true, ain't it?"

"I don't mean literally Mr.Hayes" She glared at him knowing that he had a terrible sense of humor. Hayes smiled without exchanging another word.

***

The teachers forcefully stopped the party by talking to the DJ so that they could get all the kids back on the bus.

Every single one of them protested against this, and the teachers had to give in to their pleas to stop by a classy store that sold souvenirs.

By the time they left for the hotel, the teenagers were so drunk with happiness and excitement that the bus felt like a moving frat house. Ruby stood up, hoping to see if Mr.Hayes was trying to get the students to settle down.

She saw him at the very back, eyes closed. His head leaned over dozing in the middle of the blaring music and noisy brats. How could he sleep like that? She had no idea.

Ruby sat back down, looking out of the window when she felt a few guys from the football team approach her. "Would you like a drink, Miss Stranstroff?" Kyle, the ringleader, asked while flashing his best smile.

"Are you legal?" She stared at the expensive and highly alcoholic drink in his hand.

"A few of us are" He smiled, "Here, you can have this"

"I'm good, Kyle. Don't pass this around"

"Aw, come on. Just a sip" He sat down next to her.

"No thank you, young man"

"What are you so scared of Miss Stranstroff?" He chuckled.

Was this kid trying to hit on her?

"Hey"

Kyle felt a strong arm on his shoulder and looked up to find Mr.Hayes smiling down at him. Ruby had no idea how he got here this quickly.

"Could you take my seat at the back? It's very loud and I can't get a wink of sleep" He sighed.

"But I-"

Mr. Hayes knew what the boy was trying to pull.

"Please?"

He squeezed Kyle tighter.

"I'll talk to you later, Miss Stranstroff" He got up and gently bumped Hayes on the shoulder before squeezing his way to the back.

Hayes took the seat next to Ruby. With his arms crossed, he leaned back on the seat hoping to fall asleep again, "Wake me up when we get there"

"Okay," Ruby whispered back.

While staring out the window, she couldn't help thinking about what Hayes had done.

Did he really sit down just to sleep or was he jealous?

She glanced at him, dozing with his lips partly open. He gently bent back and forth with that pretty face.

It reminded her of all the times she had gazed at his sleeping figure.

Especially the time when she was wrapped in his arms.

What were they?

Ruby pondered over it for a long time.

Last Edited - 15/10/23