9. Cracked

For days Mr.Hayes longed for Ruby to show up at school. The weight of his guilt was too much. He had never meant to hurt her so brutally.

He was too ashamed to even visit her apartment. By now he was sure that she didn't live there anymore. She could be roaming the streets or doing god knows what. He was extremely worried for her, especially since she didn't even have anyone to turn to.

Mr.Hayes asked Popy and her friends whether they had heard from Mikaela but no one knew anything. Mrs.Ceira tried calling her parents and even went to her home when she stayed absent for a whole week. She concluded that they had moved again but Mr.Hayes knew that wasn't the case.

At seventeen or sixteen her parents died, and she was kidnapped.

Her body was sold to people and abused, which clearly led to her having trust issues and she undermined herself.

When she had finally found someone to confide in, that too her teacher, that man turned out to be the shadiest pervert ever.

The more Hayes thought about it, the more sleepless his nights were.

At one point he thought he'd get over her after spending time with another girl, but that only made his guilt worse.

Hayes had a dark and confusing past.

He had suffered from constant neglect from everyone including his parents.

He wasn't brilliant in any of the core matters in academics. This led to him being constantly criticized and compared to his siblings.

The young child's demons soon manifested into something unthinkable.

After getting into college, he cut all ties with his family. He thought to build his life around literature because he found books as a means of escape.

But his demons convinced him that he was a monster.

A disgrace to his rich parents.

A terribly spoilt brat.

He thought so worse of himself that he attempted suicide as a teenager.

Even then, his parents were convinced that it was because he was far too dramatic. Far too sensitive.

With Ruby, he wanted her to know how much of a bad person he was.

She had constantly been grateful to her and it stirred something inside him.

He wasn't a good person. He wanted to know how much she would tolerate him because everyone left him eventually.

At school, he was the sweetest teacher ever. His students loved and respected him. He had a deeper understanding of every phrase in literature.

But it was just a cover. Nobody knew how terrible he actually was.

The deep circle of thought made him go insane.

Mr.Hayes didn't deserve to live.

He constantly flipped and turned in his bed, he felt like throwing up.

He finally got up to go to to the kitchen for a sip of water.

As he was drinking, his thoughts grew very vivid.

He was sure that he couldn't take it anymore.

His eyes fell on the knives that were set aside. He picked up the sharpest one, his hand shaking.

Hayes pressed it against his wrist and with a swift move, he cut himself.

Blood sprayed on his shirt and he kept staring as the blood flowed uncontrollably.