CH.41. BELONGING SIDES

"After you fainted, Balaram carried you to the gallery" Parvati said.

"Bala- what was he doing there?" Evi asked.

"Who do you think protected you from the Brahmastra?"

"Didn't Shikha injure Bhishma?"

"Yes. But his incantations were already over. I carried Shikhandini out of the impact and Balaram shielded you and Hridasura"

"WAIT .. WHAT!? Why was Hridasura there??"

"Well you would have to ask him yourself. He was trying to shield you I suppose. And then Balaram just protected both of you"

"That stupid demon" Evi cursed under her breath. "Does he have no sense of priority? If he had died the tribe would suffer so much!! I would need to beat some sense into him"

"So angry at someone trying to protect you?" Parvati chuckled.

" Hridasura shouldn't sacrifice himself for me. For a person like me.... His life shouldn't be wasted" Evi mumbled.

"You were the one who saved him... Evi. You should give yourself more credit-"

Evi looked up at Parvati with a peculiar expression. "Yo...you... Cannot read my mind?" Evi asked as her lips turned into a grin. "Oh my god"

" Was it something that I said?" Parvati asked, amused at Evi's sudden questions.

"Well, I KNOW FOR SURE that someone who can read my mind won't reply the way you did. All I was saying that I WANT TO die, and Hridasura shouldn't sacrifice himself for me. Because then he wouldn't be protecting me... He would just be... Stealing my death from me"

"Hahaha ..." Parvati laughed again. "Kalyug changes people"

"No. WAR changes people" Evi rectified. "Now go on. What happened next?"

Parvati sighed before continuing. "As Balaram took you to the gallery, in front of the Pandavas and Kauravas, I made Shikhandini faint too, as she was already in too much mental agony. Moreover, her fate was going to be decided by the court, and her staying unconscious would have actually helped her case"

Evi nodded, agreeing with Parvati for the first time.

"The Kauravas AND Pandavas both were too shocked to even move a muscle, except Sahadev. He, along with Angraj, Dronacharya and Ashwatthama left to fetch Bhishma and treat him"

Evi gulped as a wave of guilt washed over her. Seeing their grandfather almost taste death wouldn't have been any less than a heart attack for the Kuru Princes.

" On the other hand, as you were brought to the gallery, the officials wanted you to be... well... killed. But Duryodhan came out of his trance and said that if Mahadev came to your rescue, it would mean that you aren't supposed to be killed"

"That kid is going to ruin my life" Evi cursed in her head.

"Yudhishthir and Mantri Vidur thought for a few minutes and came to the same conclusion. However, both of them suggested to keep you in a solitary confinement underground"

"But I was in jail-"

"Yes, that's because Duryodhan threatened to skin Yudhishthir alive if he put you in that confinement cell"

"And Bheem didn't kill him?"

"Bheem was still in shock. Only Yudhishthir and Duryodhan were able to fight at that moment. Every other person was just too... Dumbfounded"

" So they compromised and put me in a jail?"

"Yes. Duryodhan wanted you to be put in your room, under house arrest, just like Shikhandini-"