43. Daeron the Douche

"Seems lover boy doesnt love you after all." Daeron remarked leaning into Aras room.

"Rhaenyra canceled the union." Ara corrected as she stared down at her scroll she had to talk to Jace now.

"And when was the last time you saw lover boy? Did you break his heart? Did you tell him you fucked Aemond on his name day?" Daeron mused and Aras eyes shifted up towards him.

"No? Oh pity. What a shame oh well." Daeron declared in a chipper tone. " perhaps he found a girl less murderous."

"Get out," ara whispered.

"What? You dont like to be the tormented one? You like to do the tormenting?" He teased.

"We were civil. Whats your fucking problem?" Ara shouted.

"You!" Daeron spat. "Im always forgotten. Always left out. Hell I was sent away for years and yet everyone is worried about their golden girl, goddess Ara."

"Its not my fault im likable and you are an unlikable  douche!" Ara countered.

"Its always Ara this, Aemond that. The rest of us dont stand a chance to your perfection."

"Thats what this is about? Mother doesnt love you as much?" Ara rasped.

"No one could compare to her precious ara." Daeron muttered. "Aegon is her first born but she pawned him off on Helaena and they hate each other. I was completely forgotten about and yet you and Aemond are the golden children. The chosen ones. Destined to find love and be happy. But what about us? What about me? Where is my happiness?"

"Buried under the ground six feet deep. I can help you find it." Ara seethed.

"At least we all know you are not the kings favorite. Right Bastard?"

Daeron the douche. Aranyani had just about enough of him.

"Get out!" Ara demanded.

Ara stared back at the door as it slammed closed

Ara stared back at the door as it slammed closed. She wasnt a bastard. She was Aranyani Hightower. She had two parents that loved her. She had three out of four siblings that she loved and yet. Every time Daeron said that word it was like she was a little kid again.

Criston knocked pushing open the door only to see a teary eyed Ara. She ran to him hugging him tight.

"Sweetie, what happened?" Criston questioned running a hand down her back.  Ara shook her head into him. "Was it Aemond?"

"No." Ara corrected immediately. "I love Aemond. He would never hurt me."

+

''It's been near six years since I last saw my lord husband, Maester. I must know... will he live?'' Rhaenys asked sitting perched on the throne at Driftmark

''He led his sailors into an ambush." Maester Kelvyn reported ''A ship made to look as if it were abandoned. In the fighting, his neck was slashed by a corsair's dagger. He fell overboard into the sea. The wound was severe. Much blood was lost." He went on and Rhaenys nodded slowly. ''But the greater concern is the fever that followed. The ship's maester said he burns from within." The seabirds could be heard calling out over the waters around them

''The Sea Snake is strong.' Kelvyn offered as he headed out

''No doubt. And yet, I have seen blood fever overcome men half his age.'' Vaemond remarked coming up to Rhaenys.

''I will not suffer the talk of crows in my house, Vaemond.'' Rhaenys hissed

''I love my brother... but we must be honest with ourselves. We may greet his ship to find him gone. And who will take the Driftwood Throne?'' Vaemond offered.

''My grandmother seems quite comfortable here.'' Baela informed him confidently.

''She presides only in the absence of her husband. On his death, the seat passes-' Vaemond reminded them both

''To Lucerys Velaryon. As is my lord husband's desire.'' Rhaenys reminded him stiffly.

''I am the Sea Snake's own blood, the closest kin he has left.' Vaemond shouted

''Be careful, good-brother. One could take your words for treason.' Rhaenys told him calmly.

''I speak the truth, Rhaenys. And you know it.'' Vaemond spat.

''The matter has been decided.'' Rhaenys sat confidently, calm and collected as his temper only grew.

''By a man whose ambition has brought down on us calamity after calamity. My brother cares only for the history books. But what of the Velaryon line? Is it to be snuffed out, supplanted by the pups of House Strong? Driftmark is mine by all rights." Vaemond shouted. "And while I should like your support, I do not... need it. The winds have shifted. The crown has good reason... to take my side." Vaemond went on and Rhaenys let out a deep breath.

'' My cousin the King would have your tongue for this.''

''But it's not a king who sits the Iron Throne these days, good-sister. It's a queen.''

+

"Ara?" Aemond questioned with a gentle knock.

"Come in." She whispered.

"Ara you barely left your room today. I was worried about you." Aemond remarked sitting beside her. Ara leaned into him resting her head in his lap. He ran his fingers through her hair. "Is this about the union? I can do a better proposal I will do a better proposal. I wanted it to be romantic and-"

"I would like that. I would love that." Ara agreed moving into his lap.  His hands ran over her back as she looked at him. "Daeron was being mean and I spiraled. Im okay though." Ara assured as she kissed him. "Im great now that you are here."