40. I'm Innocent. I Swear It

"Why do I feel like I'm in trouble? I swear I didn't do anything wrong this time." Ara declared.

"What do you mean my dear?" Criston questioned

"Well I was called to the council office and I am not called there unless I'm being yelled at." Ara remarked honestly.

"What do you think you did?" Criston pondered and ara gave him a pointed look.

"Im innocent. I swear it," ara remarked. "Cross my heart and hope viserys dies stick a needle in his good eye, promise." Criston chuckled as she leaned into him "what? Is that not how is goes?" She mused.

"I love you sweetie." Criston whispered kissing her temple.

"Wish me luck. Tell mother I love her!" Ara declared dramatically before pushing open the door.

"I am here. Here I am. I am innocent." Ara remarked confidently as she stood properly before them but it wasnt the council it was just Viserys. She swallowed the lump in her throat.

"Your union to Jace

"Your union to Jace." Viserys began and Ara opened and closed her mouth silently. "Well..." Viserys coughed out.

"Whats wrong?" Ara questioned hesitantly. "Is Jace okay? Is he hurt? Sick? Spit it out." Viserys spit mucous onto the floor and Ara's lips pursed disgusted. "Not literally." She murmured.

"Ara!" Alicent declared coming in behind her.

"Mama whats-"

"Helaena wanted you-"

"Whats wrong with Hela?" Ara questioned

"I wanted to speak of your union with Jacaerys." Viserys corrected through a thick labored breath.

"Whats wrong with Hela?" Ara demanded.

"The babe." Alicent whispered leading Ara out.

"What's wrong?" Ara questioned as they walked. "she's not due for moons I thought." Ara corrected.

"She's not due for moons." Alicent agreed.

"But... oh no." Ara whispered before running down the hall.

"Am I a bad mother?" Alicent questioned looking to criston as they moved.

"Nonsense, Ara loves you so much." Criston assured. "You are a wonderful mother."

"To the others though." Alicent clarified. "Helaena... she started bleeding, too much blood her term is not complete and Helaena cried out for Ara, not for her mother... did I do such a bad job at mothering them?" Criston hesitated. "Your silence speaks volumes Ser." Alicent warned.

"You love Ara, you love them all... its not bad to have favorites." He offered. "You were very young when you had Aegon and Helaena, but you have been there for them, taken care of them, loved them. Helaena wanted Ara. Ara is her best friend. Don't over think it." Criston assured as he grabbed her hand.

"Hela!" Ara shouted bursting through the doors, they flew open before she touched them. Air manipulation, Ara thought fondly before she looked to a pale and bloody Helaena. "Hela, I'm right here, I'm right here." Ara declared kneeing beside her.

"It hurts Ara. It hurts." Helaena whimpered. "I'm losing my baby... I'm losing my baby."

"I'm here for you. I'm right here." Ara assured holding onto Helaena.

+

Ara couldnt imagine the grief, losing a part of you. it was a fortnight before Helaena came out and started acting more like herself. Ara stayed with her, tended to the kids. Helaena held no love for Aegon but Alicent was right, Helaena loved her children. You may never love your husband but you will love your children, in that a mother had no choice.

"Helaena... I want to show you something." Ara remarked fondly.

"What?"

"It's a surprise." Ara remarked and reached out for Helaena.

"A good surprise?"

"Well I hope so." Ara agreed. "Close your eyes." 

'Oh, that kind of surprise." Helaena agreed. Ara led her forward carefully and Helaena peaked her eyes open and a gasp left her lips. "OH!" Helaena squealed with delight. "Ara, it's beautiful." Butterflies filled the flower covered field, they flew up and around them. 

"You deserve all the good in the world, Helaena." Ara declared. "I know I can't bring it back but I hope... this brings you some joy through the sadness, through the madness."

"It does." Helaena agreed stepping forward. "Thank you Ara, thank you. This is so beautiful." Helaena turned to Ara and butterflies soared around her. "YOu are the best sister ever."