16. Unstoppable

Back to December // Cregan stark out now!

"So we are not going to talk about it." Davina pondered as they walked back to the castle.

"I met someone. Something. She... I don't really know how to explain it." Ara offered as she held to Criston's hand as they walked. "But she said once I touched the tree my transformation would be complete."

"How do you feel?" Criston questioned.

She felt strong. Ara looked to Aemond as she held her hands up. Vines weaved up and around her fingers. They were not coming from the ground but from her.

"Beautiful. Strong. I feel powerful." Ara declared, her forest Goddess green eyes met Aemond's violet and a smile pulled at his lips. "I feel unstoppable."

"You are glowing

"You are glowing." Aemond declared hugging her again. "Ara I thought I killed you."

"You unlocked something in me." Ara corrected. "You made me whole." Ara declared bringing a hand to his cheek.

"I was so worried." Aemond whispered hugging her tight.

"You were right before there is more to me. I am connected with the earth. I am one with it." Ara declared. "I'm also tired and hungry." She added leaning into Aemond as they continued on their way. Aemond crouched forward and she jumped on his back. "Best brother ever." Ara informed them all as she leaned into him. 

"Careful Criston, the prince is going to be corrupting your little flower before you know it." Tommen mused. Criston stared back at them as Ara laughed holding onto Aemond, arms draped around his shoulders. 

"No. Ara loves Jace." Criston corrected. 

"He's so far away." Davina reminded him. "And Aemond is handsome and right here for her pleasure." 

"She is a child." 

"A young woman, beautiful like her mother I hear and her brother is already smitten with her." Davina corrected. 

"No. Stop talking." Criston begged. "She is to stay my little girl forever." 

"Shes less than a year younger than Aemond and kids start experimenting-"

"She turns 10 next moon, she's little for her age, stop talking nonsense." Criston begged. 

"How old was Helaena when she was married off?" Tommen countered. 

"Not the point and not my Ara." Criston corrected them. 

"His ara, thats so cute. It keeps getting cuter." Davina declared. "So when are you and the queen going to give her a sibling?"

"She has many siblings." Criston corrected. 

"Yeah but..." Davina waggled her eyebrows. 

"Are you sure? Are you really sure you are okay Ara?" Aemond questioned. 

"Yep, completely okay." Ara agreed. "It was scary for a bit." Ara admitted softly as she tipped her head into Aemond. "I didnt know if I was going to..." He felt her sigh relaxing into him. "She said someone else was tested... came to the tree. He didnt survive. They were waiting... waiting for me." Ara whispered. 

"This area was burned down by Fury-" Tommen remarked nodding off. Ara looked to the ruined woods. 

"Dont tell her that. She's the forest goddess, tree person. I dont want her hurting Fury because he fried a few trees." Davina hissed. 

"Ara would never hurt animals, she loves all creatures." Criston corrected. 

"Not spiders." Aemond called back as Ara jumped off his back and landed on the ground bringing her palms to the earth. Aemond turned back to her confused. 

"Control." Ara whispered closing her eyes. Criston ran forward thinking she was hurt. "I am in control." She whispered feeling the vibrations of the earth. "I am energy... I am the guardian, I am Aranyani Hightower." 

Tommen looked to the trees, the burned area, he watched as what was once dead came back to life. Blooming brighter and bolder than before.

He thought the land would forever be in that state of wreckage, Fury's fire was the greatest any had seen. Yet Ara rose slowly pulling the energy up with her it seemed. She focused on the trees, the life, the power within. 

This is what she meant when the voice told her that Aranyani was a guardian. Being the guardian deity of sacred sanctuaries, woodlands and jungles, the goddess of forests and the wild animals that dwell within them. She could protect them, she could feel their life, she could bring them back from death.

They watched as the burned trees formed, the grass grew, the flowers bloomed. Ara smiled as a butterfly landed on her nose. 

Aranyani was the protective control, who can be both fierce and benign... What am I? Ara had asked but the voice said she already knew. Maybe it was a trick. Ara had the capability to be both fierce and benign. 

She looked around at the good work she had done and smiled. This was good. This was very good. She was good. She wouldnt use her gifts maliciously, she would protect. And for the first time in moons she didnt think about Jace. 

There is beauty in control.

 There is grace in symmetry.