Duel

Sword fighting.

One of the things I'm good at. I have fought with countless people and have always won because it's a thing I'm good at. I practice it whenever I get some free time because it is something I'm good at. I try my best to improve my techniques because it is something I am GOOD at.

So imagine my shock...when SOMEONE beat me to THE one thing I'm good at.

Today morning, when I realised I had some rare free time, I decided to take a stroll around the pretty garden. And while roaming around I saw something that took my breathe away for a moment. The training grounds.

Appearenly, it's were the knight-in-trainings do their practice.

I was thrilled and immediately walked to the grounds.

And then I realised my mistake. Because as soon as every knight saw me, the noises cooled down and everyone bowed down. I didn't think I would make things so awkward and I almost felt bad.

"Your highness!!? What brings you here?" the head knight asked still bowing.

"Uh..." I wished they wouldn't treat me so differently, "Is this a bad time to come?"

"Oh no, your highness! We were just practicing!"

"Mind if I join you?" I found myself asking that without thinking. I adored sword fighting and looking at so many trainees was a mood lifter.

"Huh?" everyone was once again surprised as they looked at each other.

“B-but of course, if her highness wishes to join...”

"Great! Please don't hesitate to defeat me.” I said as a knight bought the finest sword for me.

And as expected of the soon-to-be royal guards, they were all very skilled and strong. Everyone gave their best but I still managed to beat them.

They were all good but I would be able to protect myself better than them if I was ever in trouble.

I threw one last attack on my opponent as he fell on the ground.

“Damn, that looks like fun,” a sudden voice interrupted and I knew almost immediately who it belonged to, “Mind if i join?”

It was surprising to see him present but none of the knights bowing and yelling "YOUR HIGHNESS!!!!" yet.

“Prince Cassian? What brings you here?” I asked not sure what he meant by wanting to "join".

“I was just out on a walk and saw you here! I knew that my lady was a skilled swordsman but I didn't know you'd even be better than the royal knights which are proposed to protect YOU...” he said, eyeing the gaurds as they all looked down.

“You flatter me, your highness...but I can certainly protect myself.”

“Oh? I feel pretty confident today...say m'lady, how about a round with me?”

_________________________________

There was one rule. No magic. And the Prince agreed.

I took my position and so did Cassian.

“....And begin!” as soon as those words were said, I launched an attack on Cassian with full speed but he managed to move away. He wasn't using any magic and yet his speed was amazing. I went full on him, looking for openings and attacking on each opening I found and he kept blocking each time. Left, right– I twisted, attacked, jumped back, closed in and attacked again. But he was quick at dodging and avoiding.
The "training" was heating up and soon enough we both were breathless. This fight would go on until one of us scored a disabling blow--at this rate, it would last until sundown.

But I intended to win this fight even if it took me until sundown.
Cassian swung his sword in a small flourish as he gave a grim, a defiant little acknowledgement. I swiftly punished him for the unnecessary gesture with a ferocious attack on his nearest exposed side, forcing him to cut his flourish short and scoot to defend himself. It was a short encounter, but we were so close I saw a glimpse in his eyes telling me, 'It would take more than this to defeat me'.

Cassian slid his sword down from my hilt, aiming at my legs. I leveled a downswing at his shoulder and neck. He lunged sideways to avoid it. I drove forward. In the resulting tangle, his sword drove for my left leg and I trapped his swordhand between her side and her arm, wrenching it in sideways and hacking at his neck. He ducked and rolled into her before I could land a good blow, making an opening for him which he took and at a fast speed made his first attack, which send the sword I had flying.

I was speechless, and after a moment of silence the judge spoke, “And the winner is, His highness, the Prince!”

“I guess that makes me eligible to protect my Rosemarie.” Cassian said smiling brightly as if he was proud to have won.

“I...” before I could say anything we were interrupted by a very furious Sir Aether.

“Your highness! Here you are! I believe we have places to be?!” he spoke sounding mad and demanding.

“Aha...It was amazing to fight you Rosemarie.” Cassian said nervously as he walked out of the training ground hurriedly.

He's leaving already? Just like that after defeating me? I don't know why but I was so disappointed at being defeated, the Prince was definitely better than me.

I want to spar with him again.