Mother figure

I was summoned to the garden by her majesty, the Empress again.

It was the fifth time in a row.

It all started the day after we went to see my mother at the grave.

“Rosemarie, won't you have the cookies?” she asked politely.

“Ah, no I'm alright.” I replied smiling.

We had been having tea every afternoon here, in the garden.

It was a big garden filled with different kinds of flowers. It was so pretty and comfortable that I could sit here all day long, alone.

“Do you...feel uncomfortable with me Rosemarie?” the Empress asked.

To be honest I was.

“No your majesty, of course not.” I lied.

She looked sad. This was the first time I saw that look on her face. She was the brightest person, always smiling and laughing yet here she was looking sad, probably because of me.

She looked at me and said, “You didn't call me mother or even by my name since you got here...was it too much to ask for me? I'm sorry if it was. It's just that...you always look like you're in some kind of pain, Rosemarie. You look down at your hands nervously everytime. You seem uncomfortable. You... don't have much food, just the tea and some sweets. I don't want to make you feel any kind of pressure. I know it must be tough for you but, I just wish you'd relay on the people around you just a little more, the people who want to help you, like myself. Don't keep your feelings bottled up for too long.”

I looked at her blankly. I tried to understand what she meant. But couldn't.

I just smiled, “Yes, I will, thank you.”

She smiled back.