Cruel

How am I going to prove my innocent?

It was simple. Say the truth.

But, I had to find witnesses to prove my innocence.

The men I saw at the ball that were with Noah had their mask on the entire time so I definitely couldn't know who they were. There was no one else who could have possibly heard them talking but they knew I was the one that confessed so maybe the only proof he had was those men.

There really was no one who could help me, was there?

I was at my mother's grave. I had walked all the way here and my feet were sore.

I thought I'd cry again, but my tears had dried when I left the palace.

There was no point in crying.

No one is going to help you.

I know.

No one cares about you.

It doesn't matter.

No one loves you.

Shut up.

You have no one.

Shut up!

I covered my ears.

Shut up. Just shut up.

I was going to prove myself. I won't run away. I just need an alibi.

Something, anything!

And then it hit me. How could I have forgotten about it?!

That day. The day when Noah rejected me at the ball, at the Philis' house there WAS someone who saw it. There WAS an alibi.

I was so caught up with things that I'd forgotten about that tiny detail.

“I'm sorry for coming here this late...” I said looking at the terrified looks of everyone.

“Rosemarie!” Anastasia said worried as we sat in the living room.

“Just what on Earth happened to you? You look so...out of place. Is it because of the rumours? I don't believe those but–”

“I don't have much time...can you please call Lord Andros?”

She hesitated but asked a servent to call for him.

“Lady Rosemarie!” as soon as I saw Andros I stood up breathless.

“Lord Andros...You, you were the one that day with me! You saw him right?!”

I was desperate. So very desperate to prove myself right. To live.

“Please calm down...yes I was and I know why you're here.”

“I'm very sorry, m'lady," he had said, "I didn't think my kindness would mislead you like this, I do not have feelings for you whatsoever, please excuse me." and left.

I stood there for a moment, a lot of feelings rushed into me. And then I felt a tear roll down my cheeks.

I whipped it. Don't cry, it's okay.

“Forgive me I was just passing by when I happened to spot you, my lady” Lord Andros came out of nowhere.

“And heard just a tiny bit of the conversation.” he concluded.

“Ah, is that so?” I said embarrassed.

“If you ask for my opinion my lady...that guy, Noah, is a bad person. Please don't cry over people like him, you will find someone better sooner or later.” he got closer as he whipped another tear that came out of my eyes.

I don't want to show this side of me to anyone. I didn't want anyone seeing me cry. I hated it.

“I'm sorry for causing trouble for you, I'll take my leave for today...” I said as I dashed out of there.

Away from him, away from everything.

And I'd forgotten about it all.