Contract of Marriage

“Sorry?”

I must have lost my sense of hearing in all nervousness.

“I'll say it again. Sign a contract of marriage with me.”

My hearing was fine.

“What, what type of contract?” My throat suddenly got dry.

The Prince was definitely not joking around. His graze was firm and calming.

“I'll get straight to the point,” he relaxed back, “As you know, it's my duty as the Crown Prince to get married and take over the empire. My father wants me to get married soon. He wants me to find myself a bride, someone that is capable and worthy of being the empress but, I don't want to marry someone I don't love.”

He sighed, “It might be ridiculous to think I could love or be loved but that is something I wish for.”

There was a moment of silence before he continued, “That is why I'm asking you to sign this contract. It's simple. You will pretend to be my fiancée and marry me, people will complain about you not being a Royal blood at first but it'll die down. And then after being married for a few months we'll divorce. In that few months I'll look for someone to replace you, as well as someone I hold dear. Basically, I want some extra time, you know love doesn't happen in a day afterall.”

I...well, the good news was that I wasn't going to die yet.

As much as it made sense, it didn't.

“So you're tell me to fake a marriage with you is that correct?”

“Technically yes.”

I had so many questions right now.

“But why me? You could have asked anyone so why me?” I had to know.

The Prince gave a little smile and tilted his head a little as he spoke again, “Even as I just told you some crazy stuff, you have reminded calm and collected, not even a hint of surprisement. Even if the world was burning, I just know you'd remind calm and collective. That's a thing important to be an empress. She must remind calm even if the world was burning down. Since you're the daughter of Leviathan Canden, you can protect yourself. An empress always has enemies, she must know how to fight. You don't talk much and get to the point, an empress should always avoid nonsense and get to the point. You are cold and everyone would fear you...but most importantly, you would never. fall. in. love. with. me.”

He leaned towards me a little.

“I needed to find someone quick, and you were the perfect bait. Besides, it's just for a few months anyway. You'll be free after I had found a replacement.”

I was too stunned to speak.

It felt like he just explained an evil plan on stealing the most expensive diamond and was now waiting for me to sign the papers that said “None of our business if dead.”

“What would be of me and my family after the contract is over?” the important question.

“Nothing. You will be given enough money for the next 10 generation and the Duchess' title automatically when you reach home.”

A fake marriage with nothing to loss? Very suspicious.

“I need some time to think.” I said softly.

“Why?” Why?!

“Your highness, this is marriage we are talking about. I want to think about it and discuss with my father.”

“You won't be able to tell her father it's a contract based marriage tho.”

“It will be a shock to him to learn that his daughter will marry his highness nevertheless.”

There was a long silence in the room.

“Did you perhaps forget about the other night? Where you held a knife towards me?”

I was shocked. He really brought that up now?

“Don't you think that offence against me is enough to execute you?”

Was he really blackmailing me right now?

“But I'm a good person Lady Rosemarie, I'll give you five days to decide.”

Only five days?!

“Your highness, five days is too short–”

“Four days.” he said interrupting me.

“But–”

“3 DAYS.” his voice got louder.

I can't believe this.

“In three days I shall hear your answer. If not, you shall be executed for threatening to kill the Crown prince.”

I couldn't believe my ears. Only 3 days or dead? I spoke too soon.

“Well then m'lady, please enjoy the food.” he said after a few moment.

“I think I'm fine, if your highness is done I'd like to take my leave.” I said looking at my hands.

“Sir Aether will escort you out.”