Forgiving

I had been ignoring most people, well two people, for days.

Anastasia and Dementia were the only people I had allowed to visit me and I heard from them that Noah was brutally killed by Prince Cassian.

I don't know what he was tring to prove by doing that, but it didn't matter to me whatsoever.

Lately mother had been visiting me in my dreams to see her but I was busy reading books in my room, I had stayed in my room ever since the judgement day and didn't respond to any letters or summons.

It was unnecessary.

It wasn't because I was mad, no it definitely wasn't because I was angry.

I was just disappointed and upset.

But I didn't know why.

It wasn't like I expected anything from him, so why did it hurt so much?

It wasn't his fault.

“Lady Rosemarie,” Layla came into my room, “Your father is here again... I know what he did wasn't right but is it alright to keep ignoring him like this? He's your father afterall.”

She was right, I can't keep ignoring him forever. I sighed.

But I didn't want to forgive him so easily. Was I being selfish? Was I being selfish for staying away from the only family I had because they prioritised power and fame over their daughter? If so, I will gladly be the most selfish daughter in history.

“I know that but I don't want to see him yet.”

She waited for me as if I'd change my mind but nodded and went away.

Just how long could I ignore him anyway?

A few minutes later, Sir Aether came.

“His highness, the Prince have summoned you to his office, Lady Rosemarie.”

I thought about it for days, Aether had been coming to my room everyday to tell me the Prince had summoned me and I'd not go everyday but...he was the PRINCE. If he wanted to he would drug me out of my room or even give me the death sentence for not showing up.

I stood up from my table and made my way to the Prince's office.

If he was kind enough not to hurt me I just I should be kind enough too.

I had to talk with him sooner or later anyway.

“Rosemarie...you came.” he was surprised.

“You called for me, your highness.”

“Thank you for coming.”

We sat facing each other. There were lot of snacks on the table but I didn't have the heart to eat anything.

The silence had never felt this loud.

He was awkwardly looking at me as I stared back at him.

I knew he had a lot of say, but just didn't know where to start from.

“I never wanted to hurt you.” he said softly.

I know.

“I couldn't disobey my father but it wasn't fair for you to be left in the dark too, I am sorry. I really am sorry, Rosemarie.”

I know.

“It's alright if you can't forgive me just yet but how long will you punish me? I don't think of you as a toy, you're as human to me as anyone else Rose, you're the strongest person I have ever seen I never once thought of you as a tool solely for my purpose. I...It hurts that you ignore me, it hurts that you thought I was using you. Do you really hate me for being powerful?”

Huh? I looked at him. He had a sad expression, a hurt and sad expression.
It felt like he was in much greater pain than me. Why?

“I know it's pathetic of me–”

“It's fine.” I say, “I forgive you so...you don't have to keep apologizing. It's fine.”

“I'm relieved.” he said that but then why...why did it feel like he was still in a lot of pain and like he had a lot more to say.

I couldn't read his expression at all.

“Do you want to go visit my mother with me?” I asked.