The Wife Hunting

The sun had set when I realised I'd spent all the time at the library going through books, time really passes by quick when you're reading.

The final thing I wanted to do today was see my mother.

I went to her at times like this, when I felt invaluable and miserable.

It wasn't a very fancy grave. My mother's always wished to be buried beside the Lake. It was the first place mother and father met when they weren't given a title. It was a place not a lot of people knew about.

Even though after marriage Emily Canden was given the title of a Duchess, she remembered her roots as a commoner. I think that must have been a reason why she was so popular in the society when she was alive.

"Mother, it has been a while." I said, even though it was just two weeks ago I visited her, in reality I hadn't seen her since I was five.

I sat down beside her grave staring at the Lake. The sun was on the edge and it was about to get dark. It was a beautiful sight.

"I met his Royal highness, the Prince, yesterday," I had no one to talk to, so I'd hope mother would hear my vents, "ironically, I did stuff I'm pretty sure were enough to be with you right now" I laughed at my own foolish joke.
"I was spared, however. And I got to see it...magic, for the first time. It was just like how you'd describe in your goodnight stories."

I didn't want to tell her about what Noah did. I don't want to talk about unpleasant things with her.

"I...I don't know what I'm even doing, it's like I'm in an endless labyrinth...I want to feel loved, mother, but I ended up falling for someone who could never return those feelings, I just hope you don't hate me...I miss you so much, mother." I'd been bottling all my feelings and sadness for weeks. I'd never felt this miserable. I never gave anyone a reason to make me feel this way, until him.

Never again. I thought, I would never fall in love again.

The sound of wind and water were calming.

I stood up and walked towards the Lake as I saw a tiny glimpse of myself on the water.

Even though I don't remember much of my mother's face, father always said I looked much more like her than him. I had her brown hair and faded green eyes.
I hated my features.

I quickly looked away from my reflection.

I wiped my face and said my goodbye to mother.

- Meanwhile, at the Emperor's court -

"I heard you ran away from the palace again, to a ball held for the nobility and some Lady saw you using magic..." His voice was the only voice in the court...loud and deep.

I kept my bow low and hand on my chest.

I'd been thinking the whole day what took him so long to summon me, turns out he was gathering more information about it before deciding to call for me.
It was so like him, the emperor, my father.

"What you heard is correct, your majesty." I said, suddenly recalling last night's adventures.

The emperor sigh, "How could you be so reckless?"

Oh look, he suddenly cares about what I do!
How ironic.

"Does me finding someone for you to marry bother you so much that you attended a ball against my order?" yes, it does.

"My apologies, your majesty, but I never asked you to find me a bride."

He looked pissed. Very pissed. And it was assuming. I almost wanted to laugh.

"You are eighteen, for heavens sake Cassian! You are to do your duty as the crown prince and get married and be the next emperor!" he hissed, literally. "Who knows how long I will live?"

Ugh. I really didn't want to bother with this topic today.

"Fine, your majesty, I'LL find a bride MYSELF then." I said, my words firm.

I glanced at father, he looked too surprised.

"What...?"

"I said, I'll find myself a bride so you don't have to, I suspect your majesty is too busy as the emperor already and I don't want you to have your plate full, so I'll do it myself. If it's fine?"

He seem to think about it for a minute. Sir Felix, the advisor, bend down to mutter something to him and he seemed to not argue.

"As you wish, Cassian. But make sure she is worthy of being an empress even if you don't like her."

How cruel you were father.

I smiled at him and bowed again as I took my leave.

When I existed the court, General Aether was already waiting to escort me.

"Was it you, little birdie, who whispered to my father about me running away?" I glanced at him.

"If you wouldn't have been a brat, I would have kept low, Your Highness." Aether said with a low voice for only me to hear.

How iconic of him to use "brat" and "your highness" in the same line.
He was the only person beside (reduced) to talk with me so causally. Aether and I go way back, he had been by my side since I learnt how to hold a sword.

"You are so cold Aether!" I say nagging him as we started walking towards my room.

Aether walked behind me as he asked, "So what did you talk about with his majesty?"

Ah, about that...

"Aether, prepare yourself! We will be going for a wife hunt soon!"

"Say what???" he was with obvious confusion.

"Actually, I have a candidate in my mind already..." I smirked at a him.

Things are going to get very interesting from now on.