There's a calm before the storm

Everyday since the day after the engagement ceremony had been calm. It wasn't like I didn't like it. But I liked it way too much.

And then the storm came.

“HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT THE FUTURE EMPRESS IN THAT MANNER?!” Cassian yelled furiously pointing his sword at him.

If I hadn't arrived in time to stop him, he would have slayed Noah right here.

“Please calm yourself down Prince Cassian!” I said holding his hands.

“He dared to speak like that about you, Rose! Does he not know the consequences of that?!”

He knows. He knows and that was why he was here in the first place.

Who would have guessed, that I would see his hideous face again. Noah Courteney.

“Your highness, he will be presented in the count tomorrow so please...please stop it.” I begged him.

It wasn't a situation we can avoid by murdering someone. It had to be calmly and peacefully solved.

He looked back at me, his eyes full of hatred once now turning sad.

I couldn't blame him. The whole thing was ridiculous.

“Please.” I repeated.

He muscles relaxed as he put his sword down.

“I hope you enjoy the light of day today because you won't be alive to see it tomorrow.” he glanced at me, “Let's go Rose.”

He grabbed my hand as we walked away from Noah and everyone else in the room.

Even though he had been so pissed earlier, his grip was gentle and warm now.

It's not like I wasn't mad about this situation. I was. I was so pissed I felt like I slaying his head myself. But it wasn't a solution. I had to stay calm.

We reached my room and Cassian let go of my hand.

“Take some rest.” he said but right when he was about to leave I grabbed his hands without thinking.

I was surprised. He was surprised.

“Co-could you stay with me for a while?”

I wanted to be with someone.

He waited as if processing something, “Are you sure?”

“Yeah.”

We sat on the sofa facing each other in silence.

“I...I didn't do it.” I said it, something I've been desperately wanted to say.

“I know, I trust you Rose.” he was calm, “Did you really like him?”

“I– yes, I did but...I saw his true colours at the day of the ball. The one were we first met.” the memories of that day came rushing in. It was definitely not one of my best days.

“Did you...were you in the garden struggling because of him?” he asked.

I looked up at him.

The expression was back. That terrifying expression.

I didn't say anything.

He sighed, “I'm sorry for earlier.”

I nodded, “I think I will take a nap...can you stay til I fall asleep?” I didn't want to be alone. And mostly I wanted him be with me.

He stood up as he took my hand and put me on my bed, he patted my head, “Sleep well.”

I shut up eyes.

Everything up til this morning was going great, until a few maids bursted into my room saying Cassian requested to see me in the Emperor's court.

I had gone there right away thinking it must be important because he never summoned me like that. The maids said that there was a strange person had was claiming, I was supposed to be his wife.

When I reached the count. I was shocked to see Noah there. Noah, Prince Cassian and Aether were standing as the emperor sat on the throne.

“Rosemarie!” he'd exclaimed as he tried to get closer to me before Sir Aether blocked his path.

“Don't you dare touch her.” Cassian said calmly.

“Noah, what on Earth are you doing here?” I asked surprised and disgusted.

Why would he show up here?!

“Rosemarie don't you know why? It's because you love me! And I love you, we were lovers! We made promises! Promises to marry! How could you break that promise? I thought we were going to get married and live happily, but when I heard that you'd get married with his highness, I was shocked! And so very heartbroken, Rosemarie! How could you cheat on me? How could you–” he broke down crying.

“Your highness, your soon to be wife was supposed to be my wife, she has cheated on you, your highness! She deserves to be given the dead statement, if you–” before he could say another word, Cassian punch him.

“I won't listen another word from your mouth.” he was furious.

“Enough.” his majesty, the emperor said loudly, “If you're really speaking the truth, I shall see you present the proof of your affair tomorrow at this count. I'll be the judge myself.”

“Yes, your majesty.” Noah spoke proudly.

“But father! You know it's all bullshit, Rose would never–” Cassian tried to speak but was cut off.

“Prince Cassian. If she really is innocent or not, will be decided tomorrow.”
The emperor said as he glanced at me and left the count leaving only me, the prince, Aether and him, Noah there.

“It's not your fault your highness,” Noah spoke as soon as the emperor left, “you couldn't have known that your soon to be wife would turn up to be a whore–”

It happened in the speed of light.

Cassian used magic, a reddish colour light flashed as a sword was right on Noah's neck.

“HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT THE FUTURE EMPRESS IN THAT MANNER?!”

And that's how I was accused of having an affair and cheating on the Prince. Even for someone like me this was the worst thing that could happen. Because cheating, if proven guilty, was death.