29 | Opposite Ends of The Same Game

A week and a half has passed since I saw Adelaide at the club

For the last week and a half, all I could think about was her. The way her eyes lit up with snide as soon as she saw me, the way she held my wrist firmly enough so that I knew I couldn't pull away.

It was as though she'd trapped me in her spider's web once again, just like she did when we first started dating.

A year had passed since we were a thing. Like Adelaide so kindly reminded me, we were never really official.

It was more of a casual thing for her, but she meant everything to me. It was like she'd opened my eyes to a whole new view of the world, I began to see things in a way I had never been exposed to before.

Abruptly, she took that away from me. She left me behind without a second thought, cutting things off with me for being too clingy.

I guess I was a little clingy, but that's just who I am. If I have feelings for someone, I can't help but want to spend as much time with them as possible. That's normal. That's human.

She shut me out. She made me feel like I wasn't normal. Like I wasn't good enough.

I vowed to myself I would never feel that way again. When I found out Michelle was sleeping with Eldon, I was brought back down to that level for a moment.

For a moment, in a single second, I felt myself shift to the person that I once was. The person tainted by Adelaide, the person who didn't love herself enough to be her own saviour.

I'm not that person anymore. I'm better than that. I love who I am, and I know that there are people out there that will love me just as I am.

"Hey," Daniel's voice snaps me from my trance, and I look up to meet his eyes, his appearance slightly sheltered from the angle at which he's grabbing his duffel bag from his cubby.

"Hey," I reply, forcing a smile as I try to snap out of my thoughts, focusing on my shoelace which I continue to tie as though I wasn't just having a huge moment of reflection on my humiliating love life.

Daniel's eyes come closer to meet mine, and he takes a seat next to me, sliding on the bench so that we're sat shoulder to shoulder, where he releases a sigh.

"What's up?" He asks me, his brows furrowed in confusion as he looks me over, clearly realising that I'm not thriving in my usually happy disposition.

"Not much," I say with a mellowed sigh, shaking my head as I release my fingers from the shoelace, placing my leg back on the floor. "I think that's half the problem."

Daniel opens his mouth slightly, his eyes faltering to mine as half a smile appears on his lips.

"What is it?" He pushes gently, his tone considerate as I feel a grateful smile creep it's way onto my lips too.