28 | The Night Of Our Lives

The sound of the doorbell chimes loudly through the house

The sound of the doorbell chimes loudly through the house. My head shoots up, an expectant smile alight on my face as I rise to my feet.

"Is that James?" Mom asks me, her eyes lit with kindness as she talks about my boyfriend.

I'm so glad that her and James get along. I was so worried that they wouldn't, that he would say something stupid, or inappropriate, or both, and ruin it all.

Thankfully, the first time they met was a hit, and ever since then it's been smooth.

"It is," I tell her, excusing myself as I head through the living room and towards the front door.

The sound of the doorbell interrupted the film that Emily, mom and I were watching - Girls Trip. We put it on about an hour and a half ago, after James told me that he was going to have to come by a little later because he got called into the studio last minute.

I'm glad he still managed to find the time to come over, I've been dying to see him ever since yesterday.

I've been itching to hear about his version of the night out, all I've heard from Emily is that it went well, so well that she got a guy's number and has been smiling at her phone all day.

I can't believe James was actually right. His plan actually worked, I really should start giving him more credit.

As I reach the door, the distorted reflection of James through the glass pane in the middle of the front door meets my eyes.

He looks like he's holding something in his hands, something... colourful?

Opening the door, I'm met with his usual smirk. James stands before me, dressed in his usual all black attire, but his hand is filled with a bouquet of flowers.

He brought flowers again? Wow. I guess he really is trying to get back into my good books after the whole Michelle thing.

Little does he know that last night's events have placed him at an even higher status than he was before that whole thing even happened.

"Hey, baby," he greets me with his usual charm, leaning downwards slightly to meet my lips, where he plants a small peck before standing up straighter once again.

I feel my cheeks blush a little, he still makes me giddy sometimes, even after all this time.

I take a quick look at him, shamelessly fixating on the muscles in his arms before meeting his eyes once again, to which he shakes his head cockily.

"Riley Miller," he taunts mockingly. "It's not polite to stare."

I roll my eyes, poking my tongue out at him as I step aside, ushering him inside of the house.

"You have flowers," I point out as he steps in, and I lean forward to close and lock the door behind him.

"I do," he acknowledges the pink assortment in his hands, looking towards me once again as I turn around, pressing my back to the door.