15 | Unconventional

"You did well

"You did well. Screw what the rest of them think, you earned the spot, they didn't. End of story," I tell her through the phone, my eyes fixed on the road ahead as I turn my blinker on, signalling to turn into the parking lot of school.

Fucking school. The sooner I get out of this shit hole, the better.

People keep talking to me about university, I just laugh in their face. Me, James Romano, university?

I don't think so, I'm not my sisters. I hate school, it's boring and useless and I could name an excessively long list of things that I'd rather be doing than sitting in an algebra class.

Fucking math. That's the worst part of it all.

Michelle sighs, her tone unconvinced and I can tell that she's sat pouting just by the way that silence fills the call.

She managed to win the spot as female soloist for nationals. It makes sense, she danced better than Thalia and Amanda, and she also has more experience than both of them at competing in that sector, never mind the fact that she actually won Miss National Soloist last year.

Riley wasn't happy, she walked to my car in a huff, ranting about how unfair it was to Emily that she didn't get to even audition.

That wasn't Michelle's fault though, Emily chose to run after Amanda yesterday, and for good reason I assume. I'm sure if Emily was willing to jeopardise her chances at being a soloist at nationals, Amanda must've had a big problem. Emily's a performer, she likes being in the spotlight more than anyone I've ever met. I just hope that means Amanda is okay, I hope her problem wasn't life threatening, but I'm sure it won't be. I'm sure she'll be fine.

I tried to calm Riley down, but she just called Michelle a bitch as I drove her home. Emily didn't come with us, she stayed behind with Amanda and went back to her house.

I didn't really know what to tell Riley, I haven't really told her that Michelle and I are friends again.

I'm not scared of what she'll say, it's not that. I know what she'll say. She'll say that I betrayed her and Emily and that I don't understand the gravity of Michelle's actions because I've been in the same position as her so many times before.

I can't be fucked to hear all of that, Riley and I are good at the moment. We see each other almost every day, I take her out, she lets me sleep at her house, she's met Piper and my mom a few times. Things are good, we're good.

I don't want to jeopardise that, and what Riley doesn't know won't hurt her. It's a conversation for another day.

"I just don't want them to hate me anymore than they already do," she sighs into the phone once again, her tone gravelly and sunken, none of the usual bubbly cadence behind it.

"They don't hate you. They're just hurt is all," I tell Michelle, and I think it's the truth. Eventually Riley will come around, I'm sure of it.

"I hope so," she whispers back, her voice fuelled by insecurity and self doubt, a quality that Michelle never used to possess before she started dating Eldon.